You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 274594  

Print Page



© Mr John Lewis

IoE Number: 274594
Location: CHEDDLETON STATION, STATION ROAD
  CHEDDLETON, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Lewis
Date Photographed: 20 July 2007
Date listed: 14 May 1974
Date of last amendment: 14 May 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHEDDLETON C.P.STATION ROADSJ 95 SE5/103Cheddleton Station14.5.74

CHEDDLETON C.P. STATION ROAD SJ 95 SE 5/103 Cheddleton Station 14.5.74 - II Railway station. Circa 1849. Coursed dressed and squared stone; banded pattern tile roof; verge parapets with roll-moulded ridge and ball finials; diagonally-shafted and corbelled-out end stacks. Tudor-style in 2 parts of single- and 2 storeys, the latter set-in to right of centre (on the entrance front) (in a plan extended the east side of the track) with gabled 2-light mullioned dormer window to left and mullioned 2-light window to right; gabled single-storey porch below dormer with Tudor-arch doorway and boarded door. Wing to left set back half-gable depth with lean-to in angle; similar but longer wing to left set on axis of taller part. Stepped 4-light mullioned window to north gable and timber boarded canopy on square columns to west side. The North Staffordshire Railway was opened in 1849. Cheddleton Station was reputedly built at the instigation of the Sneyd family and thus built in a style sympathetic to their recently-constructed Basford Hall (q.v.), but actually closely related to several stations on the line; Rushton Spencer(q.v.) is a notable example.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.