© Mr John Roper
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, FRIARS STREET
IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK
Mr John Roper
16 April 2002
19 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
19 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1260 FRIARS STREET
TM 1644 SW 3/86 19.12.51.
A very fine example of a C17 Meeting House. A congregation of Dissenters
was first founded in 1672 and the present building was opened in 1700. It
has much of its original work and the original interior fittings have been
retained almost intact. A square planned building with plastered walls.
2 storeys, the upper storey windows light the gallery which runs round 3
sides of the interior, All sides have imposing fronts but the main entrance
fronts are on the north and east sides. The north front has 3 window range,
mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lattice lights and 2 8-panel
double-doors with stucco moulded and shouldered architraves, panelled pilasters
and modillioned pediments on enriched console brackets. On the 1st storey,
above the doorways there are oval windows with spiders web leaded lights.
The east side has a central doorway similar to those on the north side and
4 mullioned and transomed windows as on the north side. Originally it faced
on to a courtyard approached by a passage way from St Nicholas Street. The
south side has 6 window range, 4 with semi-circular arched heads and oval
windows above, as on the north front. The west front has 4 window range
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lattice lights. Roof tiled,
double pitched. The interior has a panelled gallery on 3 sides, original
box pews, a fine carved 3 decker pulpit (reputed to be carved by Grinling
Gibbons), and a brass chandelier.