© Mr Stuart Grimwade
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARET'S GREEN (north side)
IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK
Mr Stuart Grimwade
04 April 2001
19 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
19 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
642/2/159 ST MARGARET'S GREEN
19-DEC-51 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
An early C15 flint Church with stone dressings. The finest Church of its
date in the Borough. It stands to the north of St Margaret's Green in a
commanding position set back in a large churchyard. At the south boundary,
part of the original C16 brick wall extends in front of the churchyard in
Soane Street (for its description see SOANE STREET). The fine battlemented
west tower has ornamental flush work panelling in the upper stage and a C18
octagonal faced clock, dated 1737, framed by pilasters and a pediment. The
battlemented south porch has 3 niches above the arched entrance. There is
a fine 5 bay nave with 10 clerestorey windows, with an unusual parapet of
crowstepped battlements with pinnacles. The aisle windows are Decorated
and the south transept is flanked by octagonal turrets with stone spires.
The interior has a fine C15 double hammer beam roof, a C15 font carved with
angles and C16 tombs to Edmund Withipoll (1575) builder of Christchurch Mansion
and Sir William Roskin (1512).
Church of St Margaret forms a group with Nos 10, 12, Nos 26 to 30 (even).
Nos 21 and 23 and Nos 2 to 6 (even) Bolton Lane.