You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 275900  

Print Page

© Mr John Giles

IoE Number: 275900
Photographer: Mr John Giles
Date Photographed: 05 January 2002
Date listed: 07 May 1954
Date of last amendment: 07 May 1954
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 88 NWSANTON DOWNHAM2/89Church of St Mary7.5.54

TL 88 NW SANTON DOWNHAM 2/89 Church of St Mary 7.5.54 - I Church. Mediaeval, with alterations of late C19 (mainly 1893). Nave, chancel, north porch, west tower. Flint rubble with freestone quoins; the tower is faced in flushed flints with random squared limestone rubble. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables, the tower roof flat behind crenellated parapets. Surmounting the east nave gable is a moulded pinnacle, perhaps reset from the tower. The development of the church in C12 and C13 is complex and interesting. Core of nave is C12: - north and south doorways have spiral- carved jamb shafts and scalloped capitals, the south doorway retaining roll- moulded round-arched head. Above it is an oblong plaque with good carving, perhaps of a wolf attempting to devour the Tree of Life. The north doorway was altered C14, with arched head, the hoodmould having mask dripstones. Over the doorway is a C15 niche for the Virgin Mary. The simple boarded door is mediaeval, perhaps C14. In the nave are 2 windows with C12 broadly splayed inner arches, adapted C13 for larger lancets. The chancel was perhaps rebuilt c.1200; south doorway has round-arched head with dogtooth enrichment, perhaps reset in antiquity from north wall where a matching lintel spans a blocked opening. 2 early C13 lancets in north wall, and between them a tomb recess, and beside it an aumbry. A blocked C13 window in south nave has painted scrollwork. Of later C13 are 2 double lancets in south wall, one altered. C.1300, the chancel arch with moulded pilasters, and fine contemporary screen with heavy oak framing; drop-tracery to the doorway, turned mullions and tracery to the side-lights, perhaps restored C19. The boarded lower section retains early painted decoration. In the north nave wall is a blocked early C14 opening, formerly leading into a chapel later demolished. Beside the arch is a piscina. Also of early C14 is a 2-light window in south chancel, and beside it is a C15 piscina. The east window was renewed C19 in the C14 style. Parapet-gabled C15 porch was built against the pre-existing chapel, whose wall it retains - hence the asymmetry. Over the arched doorway is an image niche. The tower was built late C15, in 3 stages with 2-light belfry openings. The set-forward plinth has a frieze with flushwork tracery, and inscribed names of John Watt, John Reeve, Sir John Downham, Margret Reve, Jafrey Skytte and William Toller, all of whom are known from documents of 1463-1504. The tower arch has an inner order on corbels with supporting angels. All roofs were renewed 1893, in nave of arch-braced collar-beam type with arched queenposts; in the chancel boarded in 7 cants. Simple C14 octagonal limestone font with C17 oak pyramid cover. Octagonal mid C17 pulpit with carved panels. 4 bench ends of C15 are reused in C19 pews. 2 coped C14 tomb-slabs in chancel floor; also 4 marble slabs of c.1700. On chancel wall, 2 wall tablets to Thos. Wright, his wives and 5 children (d.1757); and to Ann Wright, d.1807. Flanking the tower arch are 2 wall tablets:- to Charles Sloane (Earl Cadogan), d.1807; and to Lt. Col. Henry Cadogan, d.1813. A wall tablet outside the north door to George Wright, Minister, d.1814 and his wife Francis, d.1822. C19 stained glass windows by Kempe, in 3 lancets on north side, and in west tower window.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.