You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 276673  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 276673
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, CHURCH STREET (north side)
  LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 29 July 2001
Date listed: 23 January 1958
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LAVENHAMCHURCH STREET5377(north-west side)Church of Saint Peterand Saint Paul

LAVENHAM CHURCH STREET 1. 5377 (north-west side) Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul TL 94 NW 36/524 23.1.58 GV 2. An outstanding church mainly built during the C15-C16, the period of Lavenham's greatest prosperity as a wool town. The chancel with its crocketted spirelet is the only part that survives of the earlier C14 church. The church was built by the wealthy wool merchants of lavenham, the principal benefactors being -the Spring family and. John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford. Wills of Thomas Spring and others show that the west tower was under construction from 1486 to 1495. The upper part was completed early in the C16. The west tower of 4 stages is 141 ft high, built of knapped flint and stone with unusual clasping buttresses. The nave of 7 bays is 156 ft long by 70 ft wide with fine Perpendicular windows and clerestorey and castellated parapets richly ornamented with open work. The south porch, also richly ornamented, has fan vaulting and bears the arms of the De Vere family. North of the chancel is the Branch Chapel (C 1500) and south is the Spring Chapel (dated 1525). The interior has much beautiful detail and fittings, including a rood screen of 1330-40 and carved parclose screens to the north and south chapels. There are monuments of the C15, C16 and C17.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.