You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 276804  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 276804
Location: 16 SHILLING STREET (east side)
  LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 30 July 2001
Date listed: 23 January 1958
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LAVENHAMSHILLING STREET5377(east side)Shilling Old Grangeand No 16

LAVENHAM SHILLING STREET 1. 5377 (east side) Shilling Old Grange and No 16 TL 9149 50/653 23.1.58 GV 2. A large C15 and later timber-framed and plastered building with a tiled roof. The whole building was refronted in the late C17 but the south part was heavily restored in the 1920s when the timber-framing was exposed and the front returned to its original half timbered style. At the rear there is a courtyard with jettied gables and arched doorways. It was this house which Isaac Taylor the engraver and father of Jane and Ann Taylor ("Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star") rented for £6 per annum in 1736. The family moved to No 17 (Arundel House) in 1793. Two storeys and attics. N 16 has a good C18 plastered front with pebbledash rusticated panels and a wood modillion eaves cornice. Three window range the upper storey has 2 two-light leaded casements and one double-hung sash window with glazing bars, and the ground storey has double-hung sashes with glazing bars. A 6-panel door with a semi-circular fanlight with fan glazing has a fine wood doorcase with fluted pilasters and an open dentilled pediment. The north side has a blocked 4-centred arch with carved spandrels. The south part has 3 jettied gables on the front and all the timber-framing is exposed. The upper storey is jettied on the whole front and there is a beam carved with ribbon ornamentation. There are 2 four-light mullioned windows on each storey flanked by high level mullioned windows which extend across the whole front. There is a modern "old style" porch entrance. The south side has exposed timber framing, leaded casements and a 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. The interior has many interesting features and there are large cellars.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.