You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 276844  

Print Page



© Mr T. P. C. Bramer

IoE Number: 276844
Location: THE PRIORY, 69 WATER STREET (south side)
  LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr T. P. C. Bramer
Date Photographed: 30 March 2003
Date listed: 23 January 1958
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LAVENHAMWATER STREET5577(south side)No 69(The Priory)

LAVENHAM WATER STREET 1. 5577 (south side) No 69 (The Priory) TL 9149 50/691 23.1.58 GV 2. Originally a C15 building, with later alterations and additions. It stands back a little way from the street and adjoins the cross wing of No 68 on the west. A brick wall of about 6 ft high protects the front. The original house had a main block with a cross wing at the west end. The main block is now obscured by the cross wing of No 68 and by another gabled wing to the west of it. Roofs tiled. Two storeys. The timber-framing is exposed on the west side of the centre gabled wing and on part of the upper storey of the west side of the cross wing. The cross wing has a jettied upper storey on the north gabled front on exposed joists and an embattled bressumer, also carved bargeboards and bressumer to the gable. There is the remains of some elaborate floral pargetting similar to that of No 68. The windows are mainly double-hung sashes with glazing bars and there are some blocked original windows under the eaves. Nos 68 and 69 are said to have been one large building known as the Priory, originally owned by the Priory of Earles Colne, Essex.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.