You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 277213  

Print Page



© Mr Kelvin Cuffy

IoE Number: 277213
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, B1029 (south side)
  STRATFORD ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Kelvin Cuffy
Date Photographed: 28 July 2002
Date listed: 22 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 22 February 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TM 0534STRATFORD ST MARYB1029(south side)5/14Church of St Mary22.2.55

TM 0534 STRATFORD ST MARY B1029 (south side) 5/14 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 GV I Church. C14 chancel with later alterations. C15 nave aisles. C16 clerestory, northchancel chapel and porch, the latter dated 1532. Tower C15-C16 largely rebuilt C19. Restoration 1876-9 by H Woodyer. Knapped flint with ashlar dres- sings. Plain tile chancel roof, rest concealed. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with north porch and 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels. 3-stage tower with stair to north-west angle. Ashlar plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, string course to each stage. 3-light bell stage with intersecting tracery beneath gables. Angle pinnacles and flushwork embattled parapet. Similar parapet to clerestory, aisles and chancel chapels. Nave: plinth, offset buttresses. South aisle renewed 4-centred Perpendicular traceried windows under flushwork arches. North aisle: flushwork inscription to donor: ORATE PRO ANIMABUS THOME MORS ET MARGARETE UXORIS EJUS QUI ESTIAM ALAM FFIERI FE (VERUNT ANNO DNI MCCCC LXXXXVLIII) latter part obscured by later porch. At higher level an alphabet in flushwork. Further inscriptions to buttresses. 4-centred restored Perpendicular traceried windows, hoodmoulds with headstops under flushwork arches. String course and gargoyles. Porch: ashlar plinth, flushwork walls. Offset diagonal buttresses with cusped ogee niches and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and date shield to centre 1532 JS. 4-centred moulded arch with colonnettes to inner order under square label, encircled quatrefoils with shields and mouchettes in spandrels. Surmounted by a niche with cusped nodding ogee arch flanked by pinnacles. Con- tinuously-moulded side arches originally open, now blocked by traceried windows of 1876-9. Nave north door continuously-moulded with slender colonette supporting central order of arch under restored square label with enriched spandrels. Clerestory: 4-centred 2-light Perpendicular windows with transoms, flushwork walls. Gabled chancel with east window of 1876-9, offset diagonal buttresses. North aisle inscribed to donor: PRAYE FOR THE SOULLYS OF EDWARD MORS AND ALYS HIS WIFE AND ALL CRYTEN SOWLLYS ANNO DOMINI 1530. 4-centred Perpendicular traceried east window. South aisle: 4-centred panelled Perpendicular traceried east window. Interior: nave arcades diagonally-set square piers on tall bases with hollow- moulded polygonal shafts to nave and aisles and colonnettes to east and west with capitals. Wide mouldings between shafts run into arches without capitals, 4-centred arcade. Hoodmoulds with ogee apexes which rise into shafts to clere- story level. Half-octagonal shafts rise from the arcade piers to capitals at clerestory level and support the short posts and arch braces of the roof. Similar detailing to aisles. Stringcourse, splayed clerestory. C19 chancel arch, stairs to rood loft survive to south. Chancel: similar detailing to nave. Cusped ogee piscina. Parclose screens incorporating some medieval fabric. Medieval grave slab. Black ledger slab to south chapel dated 1698 with hatchment of Nicolas Brage and another to Robert Clarke d.1731. Nave roof cambered with moulded ridge piece, purlins and joists, tie beams with bosses. Restored angel carvings to ridge and further wooden figures above capitals on which the roof posts are supported. Thomas Mors, clothier, in his will of 1500 requested burial in the N aisle which he had built and left money for the clerestory. Edward his son (d.1526) left money for the N chapel to be built in the form of the S chapel. John Constable view of church showing open-sided porch c.1798

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.