You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 277332  

Print Page



© Mr T. P. C. Bramer

IoE Number: 277332
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
  BURSTALL, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr T. P. C. Bramer
Date Photographed: 14 March 2007
Date listed: 22 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 22 February 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TM 04 SEBURSTALLTHE STREET3/4Church of St Mary22.2.55I

TM 04 SE BURSTALL THE STREET 3/4 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 I Parish church. Largely early C14, C15, restored 1866, and 1870-73 by Frederick Barnes of Ipswich. Flint and rubble, part rendered, stone plinth, quoins and other dressings, plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel. Early C14 square unbuttressed tower in 3 stages, the upper set back, embattled brick parapet. West face, rendered niche beneath simple hollow chamfered light. Ringing chamber, encircled quatrefoil opening with hoodmould with label stops, to north south and west faces. Above each, a bell opening, a trefoil headed light beneath moulded hood with worn label stops. Nave: South wall, rendered, 3 windows, 2-light reticulated tracery linked by continuous impost band; south doorway restored. C19, multiple orders of continuous wave and roll mouldings, hoodmould with figure stops, the moulding running to continuous band at cill level of windows. Medieval door. South porch, early C15, restored C19, rendered brick base, gabled timber upper stage, each side a 5-bay timber arcade with cinquefoil headed openings, the spandrels carved with floral and leaf decoration, entrance arch a single hollow chamfer to each face, the inner spandrels also with leaf and rose decoration, embattled tie beam, remains of niche with cusped head, cusped bargeboards. North Aisle: 3 windows, 2-light reticulated and curvilinear tracery. North doorway, 2 orders of roll mouldings beneath hood mould. Similar bands to those on south wall. 2-light west window similar to those on south wall, 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery. Chancel: East wall and east window of 3-light intersecting tracery restored 1866. North wall, one simple lancet, one trefoil headed light, similar light to south wall, single hollow chamfered south doorway. Interior: Tower arch c1300, largely blocked by 1980's organ. Encircled quatrefoil sanctus bell opening. Nave, 4 bay arcade, very early C14, of very finely moulded piers and responds, the west and east faces of the piers having capitals with 2 bands of fleurons and animal heads. To north and south faces, the pier mouldings run continuously into the arch, giving a semi-stilted form, with a figure head boss at the junction; arches of multiple moulded orders. 4 bay hammer-beam roof, C15 restored 1870's, angels terminate hammer-beam, corbels in form of faces or foliage, moulded collars, ridge and side purlins, cornice and frieze, the latter with continuous cusped wave motif. North Aisle: Moulded rear arches to windows, impost band on north and south walls, on east incorporates the head of a niche to each side of window, and terminates in figure stop at angle with arcade. Each niche trefoil headed, beneath pointed canopy, crowned to left by foliate cluster, to right by mutilated foliage, traces of red paint. Blocked rood stair doorway. Blocked north. doorway. Roof with moulded cornice, purlins and rafters. Parclose screen, early C14, timber, open traceried panels, each light separated by an annulated shaft with moulded base and cap, the tracery using various mouchette motifs, that to right of doorway with a pointed head. Ogee headed archway beneath 2 encircled quatrefoils. Similar treat- ment to half-height opening on south side of screen, stepped embattled parapet. (Cf Westhorpe Church, Mid Suffolk). Stone tablet to Edward Cage twice Bailif (sic) of Ipswich d. 9 August 1607, his 3rd wife d. 1631, William Cage his son, 7 times Bailif (sic) of Ipswich d. 4 November 1645. Nave and aisle benches, some medieval, but with replaced shortened poppy-heads. Font, octagonal, with 4 recessed flat panels, octagonal base, 4 plain octagonal shafts and one central round stem. Chancel: Roof, C15 embattled cornice, C19 queen strut, straight braced, collar rafter roof. Screen base, C15, blind cusped Perpendicular traceried panels. Medieval poppy-head benches. Sedilia with ogee headed niche to each side at cill level; trefoil headed piscina with plain drain.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.