You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 277820  

Print Page



© Mr John Harris LRPS

IoE Number: 277820
Location: MILL HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET
  ALPHETON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr John Harris LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 June 2002
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIDGE STREET5377AlphetonMill HouseTL 84 NE 6/2410.1.53.IIGV

ALPHETON TL 84 NE BRIDGE STREET 922/6/24 MILL HOUSE 10-JAN-1953 GV II* House. C14, C15 and C16 with later alterations. Roughcast and colour~washed timber-frame with plain-tile roof and brick stacks. PLAN: Hall house with 2 cross wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-windows at first floor. C20 cross-casements: 2-light, 3-light and 3-light with low 3-light to lst floor centre. 6-panel part-glazed door to centre left with moulded wood architrave and a flat hood on brackets. Further casements and door to left end. French window with some coloured margin glass to right end and doors and casements to rear. Date 1574 on left cross wing gable and the right cross wing has a jettied lst floor and date 1923 in gable. INTERIOR: Cross passage has shallow plaster vault. Dining hall to right has floor inserted into the open hall in C16 and has broad chamfered bridging beam with ogee stops. A massive brick stack inserted Cl5 has open fireplace with 4-centre arched niches and above it a recessed panel, the head formed of a series of moulded brick gablets of semi-quatrefoils supported on miniature corbels. Wall painting on opposite wall, almost entirely renewed/repainted. Over the bedrooms is the smoke-blackened 2~bay crown post roof with arched braces to the tie from moulded and brattished corbels and the crown post having braces to the collars. Cross~wing to left has massive close-studded framing visible on ground floor including a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Kitchen to rear has open fireplace with smoke bay. Upper floor is partly open and has long been used for storage. Framing of much lighter scanning includes tie beam trusses with curved braces and square crown posts supporting collar purlin and upper collars. Long diagonal braces over rafters. Small section of wall painting resembling rusticated stonework. Wing to right has sitting room with C18 shell-headed open corner cupboard with further cupboard behind. A fine timber-framed house with very significant survivals from the C14 and C15.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.