You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 278754  

Print Page



© Mr Simon Peachey

IoE Number: 278754
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, RECTORY HILL (north side)
  EAST BERGHOLT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Simon Peachey
Date Photographed: 20 June 2002
Date listed: 22 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 22 February 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TM 0734EAST BERGHOLTRECTORY HILL(North Side)6/46Church of St liary

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL (North Side) 6/46 Church of St liary 22.2.55 GV I Church. Chancel C14 with C15 alterations. North and south chapels mid C15 with later alterations. South aisle later C15, incorporating C14 south door. 1525 date- stone on tower. North aisle, clerestory and nave arcades c1530s - 40s. Restoration 1850s - 60s. Further alterations and additions of early C20 by T G Jackson. Perpendicular style. Tower of brick and flint faced with knapped flint. North aisle mainly brick with some septaria and roughly-dressed stone. South aisle brick and snapped flint. Later stucco to aisles, now removed. Ashlar clerestory. South porch and chancel rendered above plinth. Ashlar dressings throughout. Plain tile roofs. West tower with passage through, 5-bay aisled nave, south porch with parvise, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to north and south. Tower: incomplete, raised only to single stage. 5-sided angle turrets, ashlar plinth with encircled quatrefoils containing shields. Much weathered flushwork above. Wide north and south arches to passage. 2-centred moulded arches on inner responds with continuously moulded jambs under square label containing encircled quatrefoil with shields and mouchettes to spandrels. Date plaque above south arch now illegible. Passageway retains vault shafts. West doors have linenfold panelling and enriched central baluster. West front has C20 paired traceried windows and is surmounted by C18 octagonal bellcote. South aisle: plinth, flush- work band, flushwork buttresses with niches and truncated pinnacles. Tudor-arched 3-light Perpendicular windows. Battlements throughout enriched with carved shields. South porch of 2 storeys with domed stair turret to west. Flushwork plinth and diagonal buttresses with niches. Pointed arch, the inner order on responds, with continuously moulded jambs enriched with shields. Hoodmould surmounted by square label with encircled quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels. Single-light window to parvise under square label. Parapet. North aisle: plinth, flushwork offset buttresses with brattishing. Large 4-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Polygonal 3-stage stair turret to east surmounted by finial, with the mullet device of the De Veres, Lords of the village manor of Old Hall from 1425. North door: linenfold panelling with central baluster in continuously moulded surround enriched with niches and shields. Square moulded surround with outer colonettes and decorated spandrels. Clerestory his 3-light segmental-pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel and Chapels have 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Diagonal buttresses to chancel and 5-light east window. Embattled parapets. Interior: nave arcade of 2-centred arches on piers of section four shafts and four hollows with moulded capitals to shafts. Pointed chancel arch on triple responds. Original roofs to south aisle and chancel. Nave roof of 1854. Angle corbels to south chapel, reroofed 1866. Easter Sepulchre with C15 wall painting. Wall monuments to William Jonar 1636,and to Edward Lambe d.1617 with niche containing kneeling figure flanked by angels and surmounted by entablature with hatchment and obelisks. Early C18 marble chest tombs to Chaplin and Parker families in south chapel. Memorials to Maria Constable, Wife of John Constable, and her grandfather Dr Rhudde. Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd Ed 1974 pp 195-196 Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923 pp 52-90 Riches A, Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk 1982 p 366 Elam J F, St Mary's Church East Bergholt 1986

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.