You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 278861  

Print Page



© Mr Stuart Appleby

IoE Number: 278861
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  WENHAM PARVA, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Stuart Appleby
Date Photographed: 18 April 2003
Date listed: 22 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 22 February 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TM 03 NE LITTLE WENHAM CHURCH LANE (EAST SIDE) 3/74 Church of St Lawrence formerly Church of All 22.2.55 Saints GV II* The entry shall be amended to read:- TM 03 NE LITTLE WENHAM CHURCH LANE (EAST SIDE) 3/74 Church of St Lawrence formerly Church of All 22.2.55 Saints GV I ------------------------------------ TM 03 NE LITTLE WENHAM CHURCH LANE (EAST SIDE) 3/74 (6/230) Church of St Lawrence 22.2.55 Church of All Saints GV II* Parish Church. C13. Nave and chancel, C15 south porch. C15 west tower. Mainly rubble and random flint, some flint flushwork to west tower, C16 red brick bell chamber to tower, ashlar and stone dressings. Timber framed south porch, brick dwarf wall. Red plain tiled roof continues over nave and chancel. Chancel:- East wall, buttressed at angles, stone parapet verge with cross finial. Band below window continues through north and south wall of chancel and nave. East window of 3 2-centred arched lights, 3 roundels over, 2-centred head, labels with head stops. Chancel and nave north wall, end and central battresses, plinth and band. Carved heads below east and west parapet verges. Eastern window, 2-light with Y tracery, chamfered 2-centred head, label with head stops, to west of this window is a lancet window which continues below the band, label with head stops. Western window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, central light lower than outer lights, vertical tracery over, 4-centred head, moulded label. To west of this window is the north doorway. 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders, imposts, label over. Nailed vertically boarded door. To east of the central buttress are traces of a blocked round headed arch. South wall of chancel and nave:- End and central buttresses, plinth, carved heads below north and south parapet verges. The central buttress has 3 scratch dials and the gnomon of a former sundial. There are 4 windows, the eastern is high up and of 6 short trefoiled lights, segmental heads. Square head over. West of this window is the chancel doorway, 2-centred head of 2 sunk chamfered orders, moulded imposts, label over. Vertically boarded door. The other 3 windows are between this door and the south porch, each with Y tracery, chamfered 2-centred heads, labels with head stops. C15 timber framed, gabled porch on brick walls. Heavy full height storey posts, arched braces to tie beam above which are 3 vertical studs each with a crudely cut niche with trefoiled head. Moulded top plates to side walls and early C17 turned balusters used as mullions. West tower of 3 stages. The upper stage crenellated of red brick, with a chamfered round-headed angle buttress with flint panels to north west and south west angle. Angled stair turret to east of south face. Plinth with flint flushwork panels. North, west and south faces each have a small louvred trefoiled opening high up in the second stage and there is a trefoiled niche with segmental head and label below the west face opening. West window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, 4-centred head and label. Interior:- Nave and chancel roof of 7 cants. Chancel floor of brick pammets and medieval floor tiles. Sanctuary, five floor slabs:- 1, much worn. 2, Joseph Thurston 1714. 3, William Bruce 1677 and Coat of Arms. 4, Joseph Thurston 1732 and others. 5, Dame Susanna Brewse 1660. Altar rails C17 style with twisted balusters. Altar table with twisted legs. Flanking the east window are medieval wall paintings, to south, under canopies SS Martha, Catherine and Mary Magdalene, to east seated Virgin with Child on her lap under a canopy. North wall, tomb or Easter sepulchre. Tomb base with shields in 3 diagonal panels, moulded side shafts extending above the moulded and enriched 4-centred arch which has shields of arms to spandrels, to the moulded and enriched square head. There are 3 shields of arms above the arch, the central shield crested. Said to be to a member of the Brewse Family. South wall, elaborate memorial to Joannes Brewse, 1585. Base, 2 panels each with a crossed crosslet with motto above which Corinthinan capitals support the moulded and dentilled pediment surmounted each side by shields of arms, crested shield of arms to apex. 3 panels below a recessed arch with once a kneeling figure before an altar and book. The figure has been reclaimed by ne Police and will be restored to its position. Central panel with inscription to Joannes Brewse. This monument covers the arches of the former canopied sedilia. Above the priest's door in the south wall is a marble monument to Alice Walker 1682, 2 cherubs' heads and draped decoration. Low side north wall window. Adjacent to east of this window is a medieval coffin lid with carved sword. Central floor slab with brasses of Thomas Brewse and his wife Jane, 1514, under a double canopy, beneath their feet are 2 sons and 3 daughters, edge inscriptions and shields of arms. Other much worn floor slabs. The chancel is divided from the nave by the plastered rubble wall bases of the former rood screen, which are 62" high and 16" thick. There are simple plastered panels facing west. there is a tie beam above this wall. Small 2-centred arched piscinae to north and south walls west of the rood wall. The south wall piscina is trefoiled and has an octagonal drain. Rood loft doorway and stairs to north wall, stop chamfered 2-centred arch doorway, brick stairs leading to plastered upper doorway. To east of the north door is a wall painting of St Christopher and the Christ Child. Lords Prayer Board to west of the doorway which has a chamfered segmental arch attached to the north wall, west of the north door are fragments of C17 panelling. South wall, tomb chest with 4 quatrefoils containing shields. Large and elaborate canopy, cusped ogee arch rising to a crocketted finial. Side shafts with tracery and crocketted finials, crenellated head, said to commemorate Gilbert de Debenham D.1371. C17/C18 hexagonal oak panelled pulpit, wreathed handrail, twisted balusters. Linenfold panels with carved pilasters to backs of 2 pews. Wood block floor. Font, C14 much restored, simple octagonal stem with central drum and hexagonal angle columns, traces of red paint to original work. Chamfered 2-centred west tower arch; above which is a round headed opening. Stair turret doorway, stop chamfered 2-centred arch, 2 board door. There is a wooden bier in front of this doorway. Also in the tower is a wooden altar with embroidered frontal cloth. Bell by Thomas Gardiner of Sudbury, 1714. Pamphlet, St Lawrence Church. Redundant Churches Fund 1969. N Pevsner Suffolk 1974.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.