© Mr George C Scott
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN,
STONHAM EARL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr George C Scott
23 September 1999
09 December 1955
Date of last amendment:
09 December 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
EARL STONHAM FORWARD GREEN
TM 15 NW
5/101 Church of St. Mary the
Parish church, mediaeval with major phases of mid C14 and early C16.
Restoration of 1874. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch
and west tower. Flint rubble, mainly plastered, with freestone dressings.
Nave roof slated, chancel roof concrete plaintiled, other roofs mainly leaded;
parapet gables throughout. Some C13 fabric in chancel including a lancet in
north wall. Double-bowl piscina is possibly C14 but reusing late C13 bowls; a
pair of sedilia have a crouching hound between them, and another chancel
window is also of c.1300. Major rebuilding of nave and addition of transepts
and porch in mid C14. The porch has an image niche, and moulded cornice and
bargeboards. A number of 2-light C14 windows, some with individual tracery; a
priest's doorway north and south nave doorways, and large east and west
windows. Fine tower of c.1500: flushwork tracery to the buttresses, plinth
and parapets; good west doorway with traceried doors; the C14 west window is
reused above it. In early C16 a clerestory was formed above the nave, with
more flushwork tracery between the windows and at the parapets. Very fine 10-
bay hammer-beam nave roof, richly carved and moulded throughout, alternate
trusses have true or false beams, the former carved as angels, the latter
having pendentive posts with carved bosses. Figures in canopied niches are at
each wallpost. Chancel roof plainer and much restored in C19. C15 octagonal
limestone font; alternate faces of bowl have figures and emblems. Octagonal
pulpit, temp. James II, with strapwork-enriched arcading. The C19 choirstalls
incorporate C15 tracery from rood-screen, as well as 4 fine bench ends with
carved figures. 6 poppyhead pews, also C15, are included in C19 nave seating.
A fine painted doom over the chancel arch; another painting in south transept
(damaged). Others found in north transept in C19 were destroyed during
rebuilding but recorded on paintings in the church. Some fragments of C14
glass. For details of nave roof and its imagery, The Fool in Medieval Church
and Plays: Suffolk Review, April 1985: Timothy Easton. Suffolk Churches: H.
Munroe Cautley, 1937.