You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 279596  

Print Page



© Mr Keith Nielsen

IoE Number: 279596
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, WESTHORPE ROAD
  WYVERSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Keith Nielsen
Date Photographed: 23 August 2002
Date listed: 29 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 29 July 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WYVERSTONEWESTHORPE ROAD (NORTHTM 06 NWSIDE)4/140Church of St. George29.7.55

WYVERSTONE WESTHORPE ROAD (NORTH TM 06 NW SIDE) 4/140 Church of St. George 29.7.55 GV I Parish church. C14, largely refenestrated in C15, restored 1900. Flint rubble with some larger stones in tower. Ashlar dressings with some knapped flint. Largely cement rendered. Leaded nave and porch roofs, steeply pitched machine tiled chancel roof. Short nave, narrower chancel, west tower, south porch. 3 stage square west tower, a 2-light window in lower stage to west, trefoiled ogee headed lights, a square head with hoodmould, second stage has quatrefoil openings, string course to belfry with tall 2-light openings to south and west as in lower stage without hoodmould, to north and east ogee vesica openings, cornice with gargoyles to embattled parapet with restored chequerwork, 3 stage diagonal buttresses to west and straight buttresses to east, double plinth, chequerwork. Nave to south has a C14 pointed entrance arch to west of centre with complex double moulding, mask stopped hoodmould, flanking large 2-light Perpendicular windows, segmental pointed arched heads with hoodmoulds, 2 stage buttresses. Nave to north has similar windows, 4 stage buttresses, blocked north entrance opposite south door has a pointed arch with double hollow moulding, hoodmould. Nave east end has a shallow coped gable parapet with ridge cross. C15 clerestorey presaging aisles that were never built or simply for better light, four 2-light windows unrelated to spacing below, cusped ogee lights, traceried segmental pointed arched heads with hoodmoulds. Restored late C14 timber south porch is set off centre to south entrance, pointed outer arch with a double wave moulding, renewed timber panelling, gable with C19 traceried bargeboards, ridge cross, returns have lower rendering, renewed cusped 2-light windows. Inside porch original 2 bay. crown post roof, moulded arched braces to cambered tie beams, short octagonal crown posts with moulded caps and bases, large 4 way arched bracing. Chancel east end restored C14 pointed arched 3-light window, trefoiled ogee headed lights, transitional curvilinear/rectilinear tracery, 2 stage diagonal buttresses with chequerwork in plinth, ridge cross. Chancel to south has a pointed arched low side door towards west, wave and hollow mouldings, hoodmould, flanking 2-light Perpendicular windows with segmental pointed arched heads and a 2 stage buttress, a similar window and buttress to north. Interior: C14 pointed chancel arch, inner hollow and outer quirked wave mouldings, responds have engaged shafts, moulded ring capitals with Tudor flower and rose ornament, moulded bases. Low tower arch restored with knapped flint and ashlar quoining. Restored C15 8-bay nave roof, alternating single hammerbeam and arch braced collar trusses, moulded arched braces from hammer posts to short brattished hammer beams, moulded arched braces to high cambered collars, kingposts to moulded ridge piece, moulded butt purlins and principals, ashlaring concealed by double brattished and moulded panels; from centre of collar towards east hangs a pulley block for suspending the 'Rowell' or circle of lights in front of the rood. Ceiled chancel roof. Nave windows have moulded heads to rear arches. Rood stair openings in nave to north east, that below retaining its 4 centred arched head. C14 piscina in chancel to south with a cusped ogee head. Richly carved late C14 chancel screen dado has been reset in position; carved scenes in cusped ogee headed panels with rectilinear traceried heads, from north to south: St. Gabriel, Annunciation, Nativity, Visit of Magi, St. Gregory's Mass, Visitation, a quatrefoil frieze below; south section missing and replaced by early C17 panelling with acanthus and guilloche ornamented upper section. Early C15 octagonal font on steps, cusped traceried stem, Tudor flowers on underside of bowl with 4 quatrefoil traceried faces with Tudor flowers, 4 cusped circle faces with shields of arms, Tudor flower cornice; mid C17 open font cover, moulded base, central turned post with a finial, 8 curved side pieces with holes for lifting ropes. Towards west end of nave are C15 and C16 benches with poppyhead ends, several have C17 backs with rounded poppyheads, another has an end with a scrolled lozenge at head with '1616 TH.WM' inscribed. Towards east end of nave early C19 panels from box pews reset along walls. Early C16 semi-octagonal pulpit with linenfold panelling. Early to mid C17 turned communion rails in 5 sections with capped standards. A medieval iron bound chest, rounded head, restored sides, triple locks. Simple late C18, C19 and early C20 marble tablets on chancel walls include memorials to members of Steggall Family with Latin inscriptions. Royal Arms of William and Mary in nave to west, carved elm, and of George III in nave to north, painted panel dated 1812. Fragments of early glass in nave north windows including head of Jesus to north west, C19 east window.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.