No Image Available
FRAMSDEN HALL, CRETINGHAM ROAD
FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
09 December 1955
Date of last amendment:
09 December 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TM 26 SW FRAMSDEN CRETINGHAM ROAD
2/33 Framsden Hall
An outstanding example of a late-medieval manor house. Circa 1500, with
alterations of c.1617 and later. Timber-framed and plastered; the original
infill material was brick-nogging, of which much remains, concealed.
Plaintiled roofs. A central chimney of c.1617 with a group of 6 square shafts
of red brick. A red brick C16 chimney, possibly original, is external to the
parlour wing to right, with crowstepping and pilastered shafts. Two prominent
dormers of c.1617: both have moulded tie beams and ovolo-moulded mullions;
large C19 finials. Half-H plan: both crosswings integral and contemporary
with the central open hall. 2 storeys with attics. 1:5:1, two large C18
mullioned and transomed windows on each storey, and smaller C17 ovolo-
mullioned windows between. All windows in this range have leaded glazing, and
a diamond pane in a dormer window has the scratch date 4th March 1617, the
probable date for the major remodelling of the hall range. Panelled mid C20
entrance door. The open hall is remarkable for its structural complexity and
rich ornamentation. From the south end, the hall comprises:-
i. A cross-entry of half-bay width, partitioned from the hall by a true
spere-truss (an exceptional feature for Suffolk). The posts are fully
moulded, with capitals and with fragments of tracery in the speres. The
arch-braced tie-beam is steeply cambered. Blocked, damaged and
concealed cross-entry doorways have carved 4-centred arched heads.
ii. A lower bay, subdivided at roof-level by an arch-braced collarbeam
iii. A central open truss with cambered arch-braced tie-beam.
iv. An upper bay similarly subdivided. One half-bay has a fine original
oriel chamber on the west side: above and below the embattled transome
are moulded mullions with traceried heads to each light.
v. The dais once occupied the final half-bay; two enriched doorways lead
around it via the oriel chamber into the parlour. A closed truss
originally divided off a gallery or antechamber over the dais. There
was access from the great chamber via a blocked doorway.
The hall roof is of butt-purlin type, with 2 tiers of purlins, and principal
rafters with carved queen struts from the tie-beams; in addition a ridge is
supported by arch-braced and moulded king-posts. Cusped windbraces form
quatrefoil patterns between the purlins. All main components have suites of
mouldings; the tie-beams and collars also have applied friezes of Tudor
flowers, and a deep eaves cornice has angel figures with shields between. The
roof has moderate blackening from an open hearth. Both cross-wings have
similar distinctive roofs, but lack king-posts and all enrichment; the great
chamber was ceiled from the outset. Arch windbraced close-studding. At the
arch-braces of each truss (and elsewhere, including in the parlour wing) are
carved human heads representing a wide range of characters popular in the
mummery tradition of the period. Others are mutilated or missing. A C16
parlour fireplace has an arched head in moulded brickwork. The C17
alterations include inserted first and second floors, and a chimney
subdividing the original open hall. A bakehouse range was added to rear in
C17/C18. English Vernacular Houses: R.C.H.M.: Eric Mercer, 1975. N.M.R.