© Mr A. C. A Seinet
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD
BATTISFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr A. C. A Seinet
27 January 2003
09 December 1955
Date of last amendment:
09 December 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD
TM 05 SE
6/6 Church of St. Mary
Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, west bell turret, south porch, north
chapel and north vestry. Random flint rubble, plastered on the south and east
sides. Plaintiled roofs (renewed in concrete plaintiles on the north); the
chapel roof is leaded. The side windows are deeply splayed and probably
remodelled from C12 originals; the narrow square jambed west doorway (blocked)
may also be of C12 origin. In the chapel is an early C14 window with
grotesque corbels, other windows are of mid C14 with Y- and dagger-tracery.
C14 plain doorways to north and south, the latter with original or early door
and with simple porch. The porch threshold is formed of two carved gargoyles
apparently from a tower; the late C18 brick and flint bell turret may be on
the site of a medieval tower. C14 chancel arch, shafted, and with an image
stool with carved angel to the south. The vestry has a C15 window. Good
crownpost roof of late C14 or c.1400, in 4 bays, with arch-braced cambered
tiebeams, octagonal crownposts with moulded capitals and thick 4-way braces.
A wide late C18 balcony at the west end. A mid C14 octagonal limestone font
has varied window tracery on the bowl and a moulded stem. A mid C18 polygonal
oak pulpit with panelled faces, standing on a pillar. A marble C16 floor slab
in the nave has indents for brasses. Marble wall monuments Walter Rust
(1685), John Lewis (1724) and Edward Salten (1724).