© Mr Alan Powell
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE, THE STREET
GREAT BRICETT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr Alan Powell
06 April 2003
09 December 1955
Date of last amendment:
09 December 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GREAT BRICETT THE STREET
TM 05 SW
5/109 Church of St. Mary and
Parish church; originally the church of the priory of St. Leonard, founded
1114-19 for Augustinian canons from St. Leonard de Noblat; the priory was
dissolved in 1444 and granted by Henry VI to his college in Cambridge. Nave,
chancel, south porch. Mainly of random flint rubble with freestone dressings;
much medieval remodelling with limestone and tile rubble, and later brick
rubble. C19 brick at upper levels. Continuous plaintiled roof. The core of
the early C12 church remains, but was extended at both ends later in C12, and
underwent repeated alterations throughout the Middle Ages. Fine late C12 south
doorway with rich carving to jambs, shafts, imposts and arched head. In the
jambs are 8 reused stones with carved inscription, of which one word is
LEONARDUS. These probably come from the original early C12 doorway a little
to the east, whose former position is marked by a very early scratch dial. A
number of C12 features remain: blocked tall west doorway with window above,
blocket lancets in north and south walls. There were two C12 transepts in the
chancel; these were demolished and (on the south side) a window inserted in
mid C13, with a good hood-moulded doorway beside it. Blocked early C13 arches.
on north and south sides of chancel, which led to transeptal chapels at the
extreme east end. These in turn were demolished in C14, and the south arch has
w:Lthin it a C14 crocketed and pinnacled piscina and a window. The north arch
also has an inserted window. In the south wall are several C13 and C14 Y-
traceried windows and a plain C14 piscina. The east wall was rebuilt in 1868;
the east window is in the mid C14 manner and is perhaps original and
reconstructed; 4 panels of C14 glass in another window were formerly in the
east window with much other glass. Early C15 crownpost roof over the nave;
the archbraced tiebeams are moulded and the wallpieces have moulded pilasters.
Similar chancel roof is later, perhaps rebuilt with removal of chancel arch.
A fine font of late C12: square limestone bowl enriched with interlaced
arcading and shafts with foliate capitals. Plain square stem and base.
Hexagonal oak pulpit with rows of carved sunk trefoils and bands of
quatrefoils above and below, and one side has good window tracery; the pulpit
is in the manner of C15 but possibly constructed (or assembled) in C19. A
wall monument of marble to John Bright of Tollemach Hall, Little Bricett,
d.1680. An archaeological plan of the church showing its complex evolution is
on the north wall.