You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 279970  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 279970
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET
  FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 28 September 2003
Date listed: 29 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 29 July 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FRESSINGFIELDCHURCH STREETTM 27 NE10/21Church of St. Peter and St-Paul29.7.55

FRESSINGFIELD CHURCH STREET TM 27 NE 10/21 Church of St. Peter and St - Paul 29.7.55 GV II Parish church. Medieval; restored 1870 and 1888. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings; the side walls of the chancel are plastered. Leaded roofs. Early C14 square tower in 4 stages, with crenellated parapet. 2-light belfry openings. C15 aisles with largely original windows. The north aisle was extended to the east in early C16 to form a Guild Chapel, re-using a doorway and window of early C14 date from the chancel. 6-bay clerestorey with C15 2- light windows. At the east end of the nave roof an ornate original sanctus bell turret. Fine south porch of c.1420 with C19 restoration: flushwork- panelled facade with enriched entrance arch; above are 2 Tudor roses in square panels. 2-light parvis window flanked by empty canopied niches and 3-light traceried panels. Stone parapet with quatrefoils and cresting. Tierceron vault with carved bosses, springing from C19 corbels. Medieval nave door. Early C14 chancel, considerably restored in C19: an original window to the north and 2 C15 windows to the south. C19 4-light east window in Perpendicular style, shafted internally with foliage capitals. Interior 3-bay aisle arcades. Fine C15 single hammerbeam nave roof with a wide enriched cornice. C15 arch-braced chancel roof. Much of the north aisle roof is medieval: there are pierced spandrels and the wallposts rest on corbels carved as heads. In the south aisle an ogee-headed cinquefoil piscina. In the sanctuary an elaborate canopied piscina and triple sedilia, originally early C14 but nearly all renewed late C19. Plain octagonal font of medieval date. A very fine set of 18 late C15 poppyhead benches, all with carved ends and back-rests, and some retaining carved arm-rests. The 2 westernmost benches have backs carved with 12 square panels, each to a different design. Some other benches incorporate C15 carved components. Dado of C15 rood screen with traceried panels.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.