© Mr Richard Storey
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE STREET
STOWLANGTOFT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr Richard Storey
14 March 2003
15 November 1954
Date of last amendment:
15 November 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 96 NE STOWLANGTOFT THE STREET
2/131 Church of St. George
Parish church, c.1370-1390 for, principally, Robert Dacey de Ashfield.
Restored 1855-6 by William White. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch.
Flint and limestone rubble with freestone dressings. Flat roofs behind
parapets and parapet gables. Much chequerboard flushwork: in a frieze at the
base, on parapets and buttresses, and on the south face of the porch. On the
parapets over the porch is arcading filled with flushwork. A fine series of
grotesque gargoyles, and the base of a gable cross. Very tall and narrow 2-
light window to nave and chancel, broad east window with complex tracery.
Moulded porch doorway with shafts whose mouldings suggest reuse from an
earlier C14 building. Inner doorway with original plank door and ironmongery.
Interior: In the chancel is a shafted piscina and adjacent window seat
sedilia. A further piscina in the south nave wall. Arch-braced tiebeam
roofs: in the nave there are grotesque corbels beneath the wall-pieces of each
truss, and the square-set purlins are archbraced with corbels to the tiebeams.
Painted canopy of honour to the easternmost bay. Lower part of C15 rood
screen remains, with original paintwork to the framing: the tracery includes
carved figures. Roodloft staircase in north wall. Octagonal limestone font
with figures beneath arches on each face of the bowl, and fluted stem. Fine
C15 benches in the nave, incorporating clapboarded dado. Poppyhead bench-ends
with tracery below, and upon the buttresses stand a wide variety of carved
figures. Fine C15 choirstalls, with much high-quality carving including
traceried panels and figures standing on the bench-ends. The misericord seats
have complete figure carving beneath. Painting of St Christopher on north wall
of nave. C15 stained glass in heads of nave windows at west end. Monument to
Paul D'Ewes in chancel, by John Johnson of London, 1624: kneeling figure with
two wives, son and seven daughters. Monument to Sir Willoughby D'Ewes
(d.1685): an open pediment on twisted columns. Medieval slab in chancel floor
with indents for brass figures and shields. Brass inscription on north
chancel wall to Paul D'Ewes (1630). Several C16 and C18 floor slabs, some
with coats of arms. The church is of outstanding interest as a closely-dated
example of a single-phase late C14 building.