© Mr John Cooper
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
WETHERINGSETT CUM BROCKFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr John Cooper
22 July 2002
29 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
29 July 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET
TM 16 NW
3/119 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1850's. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch, north vestry (formerly a chapel). Flint rubble with stone
dressings. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, the aisle roofs leaded. Good
C15 square tower: 4-stage angle buttresses with chequer flushwork, the 4
against the west corner containing empty cusped image niches. Plain embattled
parapet. West face has large open arch with continuous mouldings and mask
label stops. Above is an image niche with cusped ogee head. Small trefoil-
headed windows at ringing chamber level. 2-light belfry openings. West end
of nave has good moulded doorway with mask label stops. Cusped niche above.
C13 4-bay aisles with much-renewed 3-light Perpendicular-style windows; south
aisle has C14 west window with reticulated tracery. Both aisles retain C13
doorways, each with one order of colonnettes and a moulded 2-centred arch.
South doorway has repaired medieval door. C15 porch, faced in knapped flint;
flushwork-panelled parapet with square corner pinnacles and central gable.
Much-renewed moulded entrance arch, enriched with crowns and shields, with a
coat of arms at the apex; fleuron-enriched hoodmould on lion corbels.
Original arched-braced roof, the main components moulded. Late C15
clerestorey with a range of 8 closely-set 3-light windows with buttresses
between; the windows are shafted internally. Chancel much restored:
Perpendicular-style windows of 2 lights to sides and 4 lights to east; moulded
Priest's doorway. Interior. C13 4-bay arcades and chancel arch. 8-bay nave
roof renewed 1828: flat embattled tie beams with pierced panelling above;
pierced braces from tie beams to shafted wallposts. Panelled chancel ceiling
of 1850's. Aisle roofs probably C15 but considerably restored. Stairs to
rood loft (south east nave) and parclose loft (south aisle). Much renewed C13
triple sedilia has enriched trefoil arches and Purbeck marble shafts; flanking
mask corbels, one probably original. In vestry, much mutilated remains of an
unusual double angle piscina with leaf ornament, probably C13. Octagonal font
bowl, said to be of c.1660, the panels simply carved, mainly with shields.
Older base, perhaps C13, with 8 engaged shafts. Poppyhead benches, some with
C15 ends, the majority C19. 2 C15 misericords in sanctuary. Other
furnishings mid-late C19. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs, especially to members
of the Sheppard family.