© Mr Keith Nielsen
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
WICKHAM SKEITH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr Keith Nielsen
19 August 2002
29 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
29 July 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WICKHAM SKEITH CHURCH LANE
TM 06 NE
2/145 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1857. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and
south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Chancel has remains of
render. Nave has slated roof, the chancel is plaintiled. Massive square
tower of late C14: 3-stage diagonal buttresses with chequer flushwork,
embattled parapet. Moulded west doorway over which is a trefoil-headed niche.
2-light belfry openings. 4-bay C15 nave has large 3-light windows, those to
north substantially original. Flushwork-enriched buttresses. Moulded north
and south doorways retain original doors. Good C15 north porch: flushwork-
panelled facade, further flushwork to front of parapet. Moulded entrance arch
on shafted jambs, hoodmould on further shafts, shield-carved spandrels. Above
is a stone frieze of crowned M's and a canopied image niche flanked by demi
buttress-shafts. Tall 2-light side windows with mask label stops. South
porch has knapped flint facade with panelled flushwork each side of entrance.
Moulded arch on shafted jambs with shield-carved spandrels: much of this
stonework renewed C19. Above is a trefoil lancet window, probably originally
lighting an upper chamber. Chancel has C15 windows of 2 lights (sides) and 3
lights (east end); the walls are older. Much-renewed Priest's doorway has 2-
centred arch. North wall has C17 tablet with acanthus-enriched bolection
surround and open pediment, the inscription now lost. Interior. C15
hammerbeam roof over nave is in 8 bays: moulded principal components, the
wallplates and hammerbeams also embattled; carved bosses at intersections.
Wallposts rest on angel corbels, some original. Chancel has moulded and
embattled wallplates, the roof timbers ceiled over. Chancel arch rests on
large corbel heads, probably re-dut C19. Remains of hoodmoulds with medieval
mask stops. To north of chancel arch is a group of 3 trefoil-headed image
niches; to south, one broad trefoil niche. Cusped ogee piscina. Rood loft
stair in north east nave. Doorway from tower into nave retains original
traceried door. Octagonal font, probably C15, has traceried bowl panels and
much-defaced angels and woodwoses against the stem. C17 turned altar rails.
Some nave benches re-use C17 and possibly earlier woodwork. Mid C19 pulpit,
west gallery, poppyhead benches and stalls.