You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 281926  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 281926
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET
  WRENTHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 27 November 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TM 48 SEWRENTHAMCHURCH STREET1/61Church of St. Nicholas-27/11/54

TM 48 SE WRENTHAM CHURCH STREET 1/61 Church of St. Nicholas - 27/11/54 GV I Parish church. Medieval; restored mid C19, the north aisle being added in 1853; chancel restored 1932. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Random flint rubble, mostly rendered except for the tower; stone dressings; slated roof to nave, plaintiled roof to chancel with modern sealant. Fine C15 tower, faced in knapped flint: 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet, both enriched with flushwork; around the plinth is a stone frieze with lozenges and blank shields. The west doorway has a moulded surround with carved spandrels and flanking canopied niches; large 4-light west window. In the third stage are square openings with a tracery grill; 2-light bell chamber openings. 3-bay aisles. Late C14/early C15 south aisle with original windows; the north aisle has some re- used windows of C14-C15. Late C15 porch, faced with knapped flint and with flushwork panels to the facade; crenellated parapet. C13 chancel, considerably restored: 2 tall lancet windows and one Perpendicular window to north and south; 5-light east window. Interior 3-bay aisle arcades, the north arcade of 1853 matching the south; the north aisle has half-piers against the north wall, with timber posts being added in the south aisle to match: both have east-west arched-bracing along the wall. C19 roofs. Wide chancel without a chancel arch. Trefoil-headed piscinas in south aisle and south sanctuary. Niche for banner stave locker at west end of south aisle. C19 font in nave; at the east end of the north aisle is a C15 carved octagonal font bowl, damaged but with traces of original colouring: this was discovered in the rectory garden. C19 furnishings. C17 wall monument in north chancel to members of the Skippon family. 2 effigy brasses: Ele Bowet (c.1400) in chancel floor, Humphrye Brewster (1593) re-mounted on north chancel wall. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs of Brewster family in sanctuary; 2 Brewster hatchments south of tower arch. Arms of William IV painted on boards in apex of roof at entrance to chancel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.