You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 281992  

Print Page



© Mr David W. Collins LRPS

IoE Number: 281992
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LONDON ROAD
  SHADINGFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr David W. Collins LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 January 2004
Date listed: 01 September 1953
Date of last amendment: 01 September 1953
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHADINGFIELDLONDON ROADTM 48 SW3/33Church of St. John the1.9.53BaptistGV1

SHADINGFIELD LONDON ROAD TM 48 SW 3/33 Church of St. John the 1.9.53 Baptist GV 1 Parish church. Medieval, restored 1839 and 1870's. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, the nave plastered, the chancel with remains of plasterwork to north and south; stone dressings; red brick porch. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, plaintiles to porch. C15 square tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses decorated with flushwork and crenellated parapet; some later repair work in red brick. 2-light west window with empty statue niche above; 2-light bell-chamber openings with later alterations in red brick. Late C12/early C13 work to nave: 2 small semi-circular headed windows to north and south at west end; north and south doorways, both with pointed arches, the arch to the north doorway enriched with dogtooth moulding. The nave also has 2 2-light windows with Y tracery to the south and one 3-light Perpendicular window to the north, all restored. Early C16 brick porch with embattled parapet and polygonal buttresses; some ornamental courses of bricks with flower motifs. Chancel probably C13: one lancet window to north, 2 2-light windows with Y tracery to the south with a Priest's doorway between; C19 3- light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior. C19 arched-braced roof to nave (plastered); chancel roof also C19. Niche of banner stave locker north of tower arch. No chancel arch; at the entrance to the chancel are 2 stone corbels in the form of pairs of heads which probably once supported part of the rood loft. Simple pointed-arch piscina in south sanctuary,with sedilia adjacent. Good C15 octagonal font, the bowl carved with shields and flowers within foiled surrounds; 8 attached shafts to the stem; base with 4 raised steps like a Maltese Cross, the step ends carved, (cf. All Saints, Laxfield). Arms of Charles II on south nave wall. The organ, which stands at the west end of the nave, has a good late C18 case. In the chancel are several C17 and early C18 ledger slabs and brass inscriptions to the Cuddon family.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.