You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282007  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 282007
Location: SOTTERLEY HALL,
  SOTTERLEY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 17 March 1988
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOTTERLEYSOTTERLEY PARKTM 45857/48Sotterley Hall1.9.53

SOTTERLEY SOTTERLEY PARK TM 4585 7/48 Sotterley Hall 1.9.53 GV I Manor house. Circa 1745 for Miles Barne; later alterations, notably of c.1840 and 1911. Red brick, originally stuccoed, with chamfered rustication to the quoins and a continuous enriched wooden modillion eaves cornice and a balustraded parapet. Roof of glazed black pantiles. H-shape plan with shallow projecting wings at the front and back. 2 storeys with attics. The main facade has 9 windows, 2:1:3:1:2, the centre 3 bays set slightly forward and pedimented, with the Barne family arms in the tympanum. The section of wall between the wings was brought forward slightly in 1911 but rebuilt as before. Inset sash windows with slender glazing bars, stone architraves; the ground floor windows to the wings have been lengthened. The central first floor window has a segmental pediment and the 2 adjacent windows have triangular pediments. The entrance, together with curved scone balustrade with flight of 6 steps, was added c.1840. 6-panel raised and fielded door, semi-circular fanlight with radiating glazing bars, panelled reveals and delicately-carved architrave. The doorcase has a stone surround with engaged Corinthian columns carrying an enriched entablature and pediment. The return fronts are arranged 1:3:1, the centre 3 bays set forward and pedimented; there are small pedimented dormer windows. The left hand return front has a central Venetian doorway in the fluted Roman Doric order, with heavy pediment; the doorway is approached by a flight of 6 stone steps. Immediately above is a fine Venetian window in the fluted Ionic order, supported on 4 heavy consoles. There is a Diocletian window in the tympanum. 4 blank panels to ground floor; the first floor windows have heavier glazing bars and may be original. The right hand return front has ground floor windows extending to ground level, the centre window with a pediment supported on Ionic pilasters; these windows were altered in mid or late C19. The central first floor windows are pedimented as in the main facade and there is a square window in the tympanum. The rear elevation is similar in form to the main facade: pedimented stone doorcase on engaged Ionic columns, with rusticated inner surround; pedimented central first floor windows and an oculus in the tympanum above. The inner returns of the flanking wings have a single semi-circular headed blank panel on each floor. Interior. In the entrance hall is a richly-carved early C17 oak overmantel, said to come from the previous house on this site. The dining room behind has enriched plaster panelling and a carved fluted Corinthian surround to the external doorway. This room has a very fine fireplace, of wood-grained plaster, with flanking consoles terminating in outward-facing female busts, and a central tablet with head of Aurora against a rayed background. The library is also fully-panelled, with a rich cornice and a marble fireplace with scrolled pediment. A passage in the left hand wing has part of a plaster ceiling with stylised arabesque ornament; in the adjacent room is a good fireplace with a central head of Bacchus. The main staircase has one twisted and one fluted baluster to each tread, carved tread-ends, and a ramped and weathered handrail. A secondary stair extending to attic level has closely-spaced turned balusters. There are many carved doorcases and doors, the Corinthian doorcase at the top of the main stair being particularly good. 2 first floor rooms have fireplaces with Rococo decoration and marble linings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.