You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282039  

Print Page



© Mr David W. Collins LRPS

IoE Number: 282039
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
  CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr David W. Collins LRPS
Date Photographed: 29 August 1999
Date listed: 17 April 1986
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CARLTON COLVILLECHURCH LANETM 59 SW1/10Church of St. Peter-

CARLTON COLVILLE CHURCH LANE TM 59 SW 1/10 Church of St. Peter - - II* Parish church. Medieval tower, the remainder largely rebuilt 1884 in Decorated style. Nave, chancel (with organ chamber), west tower, south porch, north vestry. Random flint (mainly knapped) with stone admixture; stone dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower, largely C14, although the lower portion (with a lancet west window) may be earlier; 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west; 2-light bell-chamber openings; crenellated parapet with flushwork. 4-bay nave with mainly Decorated style windows; at the west end are 2 2-light windows in Perpendicular style (south) and a renewed C12 window (north). The porch and vestry are entirely of 1883-4. 3-bay chancel with 2- light windows, some perhaps re-used; 3-light east window. Interior. Scissor- braced rafter roof to nave, boarded wagon roof to chancel, both late C19. In the south sanctuary is a piscina with cusped ogee arch. C15 carved octagonal font on a 2-stepped base: 4 lions against the stem, angels to the underside of the bowl, and alternate angels and lions on the bowl panels. Graded II* for medieval work, principally the tower and font.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.