You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282155  

Print Page



© Mr Norman H Sumter

IoE Number: 282155
Location: THE RECTORY,
  BARSHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Norman H Sumter
Date Photographed: 11 May 2005
Date listed: 01 September 1953
Date of last amendment: 27 June 1986
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BARSHAMTM 38 NE4/4The Old Rectory(formerly listed as TheRectory)

BARSHAM TM 38 NE 4/4 The Old Rectory (formerly listed as The Rectory) 1-9-53 GV II House, formerly the rectory. Late C16/early C17 with late C17 crosswing and C18 range to right. Extended to rear mid C20. Oldest central part timber framed and plastered; projecting brick crosswing to left with shaped stuccoed gable; C18 range in red brick, partly plastered. Roofs plaintiled to front and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys and attic. The windows are mainly C20 3- light casements, a range of 6 in total; on the ground floor there is an early C19 3-light splayed bay with sash windows and a modillion cornice. Early C19 doorway in front gable end: entrance door with 2 raised and fielded lower panels, and 16 small panes above; open stuccoed porch on columns. 2 flat- roofed dormers. The crosswing has an external stack, the upper half rebuilt; gable stack to later range. One room in the centre range has 2 ovolo-moulded bridging beams and exposed plain joists. In the crosswing a similarly- moulded bridging beam with carved barred stop-chamfers is evidently re-used. At the rear of this wing a wide early C19 stair with partly missing stick balusters. In the C18 range one bedroom has some softwood panelling and a fireplace with eared surround. Birthplace of historian Laurence Echard (1671- 1730) and of CatherineSuckling mother of Lord Nelson, in 1725. Alfred Suckling the county historian was rector 1839-1856.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.