You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282365  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 282365
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 27 November 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HERRINGFLEETTM 49 NE1/14Herringfleet Marsh Mill27.11.54II*

HERRINGFLEET TM 49 NE 1/14 Herringfleet Marsh Mill 27.11.54 II* Smock drainage mill, preserved in working order by Suffolk County Council. Circa 1820, probably by Barnes of Yarmouth. Octagonal timber framed and black weatherboarded tower on a brick plinth, with 2 floors above the ground floor. Boat-shaped cap. There are 4 common (cloth-spread) sails and winding is by a braced tailpole with a geared hand winch. The internal machinery comprises cast iron windshaft, all-wood clasp-arm brakewheel and wallower, wooden upright shaft; at the base of the upright shaft a cast iron crown wheel drives an iron pit wheel with wooden cogs. External scoopwheel, the shaft driving it inscribed 'W.T. ENGLAND. MILLWRIGHT. YARMOUTH 1910.' There is a small ground floor fireplace, the internal flue extending only to first floor level. This is the last full-size smock drainage mill in the Broads area.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.