You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282401  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Grint

IoE Number: 282401
Location: SOMERLEYTON HALL,
  SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Brian Grint
Date Photographed: 17 August 2007
Date listed: 29 January 1987
Date of last amendment: 29 January 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOMERLEYTONSOMERLEYTON PARKTM 49 NE4/50Somerleyton HallGVII*

SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK TM 49 NE 4/50 Somerleyton Hall GV II* Mansion. Small C16 core; rebuilt 1844 by John Thomas for Sir Morton Peto. Red brick with stone dressings. Slated roof. Principally in the Jacobean style. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front. 9-bay centre with flanking projecting wings of 5 bays (left) and 3 bays (right): large paned cross windows with quoined stone surrounds. Cornice and flat parapet, broken in the centre by the Crossley family arms. Shaped end gables to wings. Across the centre a single-storey stone loggia of French Renaissance derivation with semi-circular headed windows, 2 open arches and an elaborately-carved projecting porch with cupola. Heavy entrance door with moulded panels. Various stacks with groups of detached octagonal shafts. Set back to the left is a tall square Italianate tower with pierced stone parapet surmounted by urns. Garden front. Symmetrical, in 11 bays arranged 1:4:1:4:1; windows as entrance front but with solid stone surrounds. Wide 3- storey end bays, enriched by engaged square columns and with 2-storey 5-light canted bay windows. Central 3-storey stone porch, open to the ground floor and with a first floor oriel window; superimposed orders of enriched engaged square columns. Pierced stone parapet broken by a range of 8 hooded dormers and by coats of arms on the end bays. Interior. Panelled entrance hall, the panels infilled with marble and framed by 12 carved oak columns; dome with stained glass panels of local game birds. The staircase hall has a heavy panelled ceiling carried on console brackets; heavy well stair of oak, with turned balusters and square newel posts. In the main drawing room (now called the ballroom) an ornate panelled ceiling in Jacobean style and opposing marble statuary fireplaces. The adjacent Oak Parlour contains some good woodwork re- used from the old house: late C17 panelling, early C18 carved doorcases and boldly-carved overmantel frieze and drops in the style of Gibbons. 2 carved doorcases and matching fireplace in the Dining Room may also be re-used C18 work. The present library was formed c.1920 when the 2-storey Banqueting Hall was floored over: this is the only major spatial alteration to the interior. For a fuller description, especially of the interior, see Somerleyton An Illustrated Guide (public guidebook); Connoisseur December 1962 pp.209-215. The surrounding park and gardens are included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade II*.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.