You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 282860  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 282860
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CAVENDISH
  CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 05 September 2004
Date listed: 19 December 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 December 1961
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.CAVENDISHCAVENDISH2006Church of St MaryTL 8046 17/519.12.61.

CAVENDISH 832/17/5 CAVENDISH 19-DEC-61 CHURCH OF ST MARY GV I Doomsday Book records a church of Saxon origin at Clare. This was succeeded by a Norman Church which gave place to the present flint and stone dressed church which is of the C14 to Cl?. The tower (circa 1300) has a castellated parapet, diagonal buttresses and an octagonal castellated staircase turret. The ground storey is stone, vaulted, with a priests' Chamber above which has an original fireplace and window suround. The nave clerestorey (circa 1485) has a castellated parapet and interesting stone and flint traceried {ornamentation.} An inscription below the parapet, now mostly illegible, attributes its erection to one of the Smythe family. It also has 2 Tudor lead rainwater heads ornamented with roses and leopards heads. The nave has an arch-braced tie-beam roof with carved spandrels, springing from niched wall posts with figures. The north and south aisles are C15, with C17 pendants and ornamentation to the roof of the north aisle. The chancel (circa 1381) was extensively repaired in the C17. It had buttresses and a deep plinth with knapped flint chequer work. The roof is tiled. In the south aisle there is a C14 octagonal font with a traceried shaft and Evangelist emblems on the bowl (defaced during Cromwellian time).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.