You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 283216  

Print Page



©  David Guthrie LBIPP LMPA

IoE Number: 283216
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL,
  KEDINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: David Guthrie LBIPP LMPA
Date Photographed: 24 August 2002
Date listed: 19 December 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 December 1961
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.Church of2006St Peter &St PaulTL 74 NW 11/29619.12.6l.

KEDINGTON 832/11/296 CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL 19-DEC-61 I A mainly Cl5 random stone and flint church with stone dressings. It incorporates stonework of tile earlier Norman church of circa 1140. The Cl5 square tower of random stone flint and brick has a castellated parapet a staircase turret and angle buttresses. There is some knapped flint chequer work at the base and some flat work ornamantation on the east side, The south-west buttress has words above a canopied niche, commemorating the wife of John de None fielder of the Manor in 1300 and builder of the tower. The Nave was built by the Barnardistons in 1420 and the roof is C16, a false hammerbeam flat above tile collar, as reconstructed by Lady Elizabeth Barnardiston circa C15. The south porch is C15 and bears the date on a wood panel in the apex of the Gable. Tile north and south aisles are also Cl5. The south door has a wicket inset. The Chancel, with a lead covered roof, is of the C14. The interior, probably one of the least restored churches in Suffolk, has a variety of original features. Much original woodwork, some crudely primitive benches, square topped, some with linen fold panelling. There is a fine canopied pew built for the Barnardiston family in 1610 and incorporating part of the original chantry screen of circa 1430. The 3-decker octagonal pulpit with sounding-board and back and 2 tiers of arcading is also of circa 1610. The chancel screen is dated 1619. There are some family box pews of 1730. At the West end of the nave there is a musicians gallery and stepped benches for childrens' catechism at the ends of the aisles, both dated circa 1750. The altar rail and sanctuary panelling was erected by Sir Samuel Barnardiston in 1710. Under the nave and aisles are 4 vaults containing 54 lead coffins. The church is rich in mural and other monuments. The tombs of the Barnardiston family include the following. Sir Thomas and Elizabeth Barnardiston (d. 1503 and 1526.), with recumbent figures. 3 other Sir Thomas Baarnardistons have tombs, one (d. 1542) part of an Easter sepulchre, is now set up as a mural, the other (d. 1619) has recumbent figures and the 3rd (d. 16l0) has an elaborate canopy, with kneeling figures. Nathaniel Barnardiston (d, 1653) and his wife has a mural with half- length figures. In the North aisle there is a mural to Sir Philip Skippon (d. 16l9). The church clock with a single hand, situated on the East side of the tower, was made in Braintree in 1729.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.