You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 284055  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 284055
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MALTING ROW (north side)
  HONINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 13 July 2005
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 97 SWHONINGTONMALTING ROW (NORTH SIDE)3/78Church of All Saints14.7.55

TL 97 SW HONINGTON MALTING ROW (NORTH SIDE) 3/78 Church of All Saints 14.7.55 GV I Parish church. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower in flint with an admixture of ragstone: freestone dressings. Remains of coursing in the nave walls, particularly on the north side. Chancel refaced in C19 with large knapped flints mixed with rubble stone. Plaintiled roofs: 2 small C19 stove chimneys protrude from the southern slope. A cross on the eastern gable of both nave and chancel. Porch C15, in black knapped flint, with a base of flushwork panels. On its south face, squared black knapped flints are set into traceried flushwork panels. Stone-faced diagonal buttresses: high embattled parapet decorated with flushwork panels bearing various motifs. 3 empty canopied niches in a row over C19 restored doorway. Open timber roof: miniature king posts, moulded rafters. Norman south doorway with 2 orders of shafts, the 2 outer shafts with zig-zag decoration, that on the right also with 3 intervening decorated bands. Scalloped capitals, and 3 enriched orders to arch, with base for statue above. On inner side of each door jamb, a small square recess for a cross-bar. The nave has diagonal buttresses at east and west. The line of an earlier, higher roof can be seen on the east face of the tower. 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery on south side. On south side of the chancel, 2 2-light windows: one rectangular, the other with ogee-headed lights in a rectangular frame. Between them, a plain C19 restored priest's door. 2 diagonal buttresses in kidney flint and freestone have been added to the east end of the chancel, probably when the large C19 east window was inserted, and a small vestry is built against the north wall. The church was extensively restored in 1863 (per White's Directory of Suffolk, 1874), when both nave and chancel roofs were replaced, as well as the pulpit, lectern and benches. A very fine octagonal C14 font has delicate traceried panels around shaft and bowl, and a Crucifixion on the 8th side. Low, renewed base. Plain narrow Norman chancel arch: imposts on nook shafts. On its north side a wide, shallow recess, possibly for a side altar. In north wall of nave a tall narrow empty niche, and a cut-away recess for the former rood loft stairs. On the south side of chancel, a C14 piscina with cusped ogee head. To the left of the priest's door, the brass of George Duke, 1594. To the right of the door, the deep sill and surround of the window have traces of colour and patterns. On the north side, a square recess, and 2 fine monuments: one to Robert Rushbrook, 1753, the other to 2 of his daughters. Late C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. 4 C15 benches, with poppy-heads and animals on the ends, reused as choir stalls. Tower, C14, small, square and unbuttressed, in 3 stages, with a plain embattled parapet faced in black knapped flint. A stair turret in Tudor red. brick is built out on the south side: 2 paired slit windows, conical roof. Renewed west window: traces of an earlier window above with triangular head outlined in red bricks. Quatrefoil window on west in second stage, and a 2- light window in Decorated style on each face of the top stage. Restored tower arch. C16 studded plank door to stair turret. Original late C15/early C16 bell-frame in heavy timberwork with arched intersecting braces. 3 bells.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.