You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 284149  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 284149
Location: EUSTON HALL,
  EUSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 87 NEEUSTONEUSTON PARK4/28Euston Hall14.7.55GVII*

TL 87 NE EUSTON EUSTON PARK 4/28 Euston Hall 14.7.55 GV II* Mansion. Built for Lord Arlington in the 1660's around the core of an earlier house: remodelled by Matthew Brettingham in the mid C18: rebuilt in similar style following a serious fire in 1902, and halved in size in 1951, when the south and west wings were demolished. Built of red brick, with balustraded stone parapets and dressings. 2 storeys and attics, with 3-storey corner turrets capped by low pyramidal roofs. The north (now principal) front by Brettingham is very restrained in style: 9 bays, small- paned sash windows in flush frames, the 3 central windows more widely spaced. Single-storey porch with flat roof concealed by cornice and parapet, and semi-circular arched doorway with rusticated surround. The north range contains a late C17 dog- leg stair, with bulbous balusters, wide moulded handrail and hanging finials, a survival from the Arlington House. John Evelyn, the diarist, spent near a fortnight at Euston Hall in October 1671, and described it as 'a very noble pile, consisting of 4 pavilions after the French, (i.e. the angle turrets) beside a body of a large house... formed of additions to an old house...with a vase expense made...very magnificent and commodious'. At that time,. the angle turrets were domed, and the principal entry in the west range had 'a tall porch with giant angle pilasters' (Pevsner): the house formed 3 sides of a courtyard. As remodelled by Brettingham, the turrets were given pryamidal roofs, resembling those at Holkham Hall, and the centre of the west front has a 3-bay pediment.. The house at this stage is illustrated in 'Excursions through Suffolk', 1819, and described as'large and commodious of a modern date, built of red brick, and without any gaudy decoration within or without.' Lord Arlington was a member of Charles II's Cabal, and Lord Chamberlain. His only daughter and heiress married Henry Fitzroy, a son of Charles II, who was created Duke of Grafton in 1675. The house has continued to be the seat of the Dukes of Grafton.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.