You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 284211  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 284211
Location: CULFORD HALL,
  CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 87 SWCULFORDCULFORD PARK1/15Culford Hall14.7.55-II*

TL 87 SW CULFORD CULFORD PARK 1/15 Culford Hall 14.7.55 - II* Mansion, now used as a co-educational public school. The original hall, built by Sir Nathaniel Bacon in the late C16, was rebuilt for the first Marquess Cornwallis circa. 1800, the design attributed to James Wyatt: greatly enlarged by William Young for Earl Cadogan c.1890 in an Italian style. The 7-bay 2 1/2 storey brick house of Marquess Cornwallis forms the core of the present building, but is completely overlaid externally by the Cadogan extensions, in white brick with stone ornaments and details. 3 storeys, irregular form. The main front is topped by a stone balustrade with urns above. Asymmetrical tower with a square copper-roofed cupola. Range of small-paned sash windows in deep reveals with eared architraves. Large single-storey flat-roofed porch, with a long portico extension supported on fluted Ionic columns. A large wing at the west end bears the Cadogan arms and date 1894. On the east, a 2-storey range of about the same date. The principal rooms in the Cadogan extensions are lavishly decorated in an ornate Italian Baroque style, with carved woodwork and ornate gilded plaster ceilings. Of the same date is a fine stone open newel staircase, with cast iron balustrades, fitted into the older part of the house. The Cornwallis interiors are in a restrained Greek Revival style. The rear hall is paved with limestone squares, and the floor of the entrance hall has limestone squares with black dots. The grounds were laid out by Humphry Repton.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.