You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 284393  

Print Page



© Mr Raymond Warren

IoE Number: 284393
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET (east side)
  HOPTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Raymond Warren
Date Photographed: 22 September 2002
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 14 July 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 9879-9979HOPTONHIGH STREET (east side)3/40Church of All Saints14.7.55

TL 9879-9979 HOPTON HIGH STREET (east side) 3/40 Church of All Saints 14.7.55 GV I Parish church. Late C13, C14 and later; interior restored 1879. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. In rubble flint, some knapped, with freestone dressings; red brick to clerestory; slate roofs. North aisle with squat diagonal buttresses and C19 restored window tracery; crenellated parapet; a 4-light east window with depressed flowing tracery with mouchettes; pointed north door with a simple continuous curve. South aisle of same date, late C13, with similar buttresses, crenellations, and restored windows; a 2-light east window with trefoil heads to lights. Battlemented clerestory to nave in Tudor brick, with 7 2-light windows with intersecting tracery, trefoil-headed lights, and hood-moulds. A small square recess between each pair of windows. Porch extensively restored in C19. Chancel with diagonal buttresses to east end; 3-light east window of c.1300: 3 stepped lancets under one arch; 2 2-light windows to north and south sides of chancel, with trefoil heads to lights set in rectangular surrounds. Low-side windows below both the south windows, now glazed, but rebated for shutters inside and out. Narrow C14 tower; with diagonal buttresses at the west end, stepped in 3 stages, faced in black knapped flint and freestone, and gabled. Stair turret with a conical roof on the south face. On the west face, a 2-light window with a series of holes in the stone surround for some kind of lattice infill; an empty niche with trefoil head above, and above that a small trefoil-headed window. The top stage of the tower is an early C19 addition faced in a chequerwork of black knapped flint and freestone blocks; crenellated parapet with Grecian urns at the angles; a wide single-light window with rounded head to each face. The interior of the nave has a C14 arcade in 4 bays to each aisle: octagonal piers with their moulded bases raised on high, square blocks of brickwork; double-chamfered arches. Fine C15 hammer-beam roof, integrated with the clerestory; between each pair of clerestory windows is a raised pilaster with a canopied capital on which rests a carved and painted figure supporting the arched brace of a hammer beam; the hammer-beams themselves are carved and painted recumbent figures of kings and musicians with ermine collars, holding musical instruments, books, etc. A deep cornice in 2 tiers with carving, colouring and brattishing. The easternmost bay has additional decoration as a canopy of honour. The roof-pitch is shallow, and arched braces to the collars, which are set very high, spring from the tops of the hammer-beams. The seating, font and pulpit are all Victorian. Behind the pulpit, the stairs to the rood-loft, the upper part open; the cut-off ends of both the rood-beam and the candle-beam can be seen in the walls and in the sides of the chancel-arch, which is high and plain. Sharply-pointed arch to the base of the tower, used as a ringing-chamber: 6 bells. Both aisles have roofs with plain joists and moulded main cross-beams supported by arched braces resting on capitals in the walls; carved bosses at the intersection of the main timbers. Fine medieval door to the tower stairs at the back of the south aisle, with original interlaced ironwork and hinge; a Jacobean altar- table at the east end; a piscina with trefoil head to niche, and a memorial east window with stained glass by Kempe, 1905. Chancel C19 restored. Memorial stained glass of 1890 in the east window: piscina with trefoil-headed niche as in south aisle; rafter roof with additional scissor-bracing. On the north wall, a marble monument to Thomas Raymond (d.1680), surmounted by a broken pediment, with a coat of arms in high relief in the centre: he was the first keeper of state papers to Charles II.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.