You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 286725  

Print Page



© Mr Christopher Fransella ARPS

IoE Number: 286725
Location: ESHER PLACE, 30 ESHER PARK AVENUE
  ESHER, ELMBRIDGE, SURREY
Photographer: Mr Christopher Fransella ARPS
Date Photographed: 08 August 2003
Date listed: 07 February 1975
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1975
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 16SWBOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGEESHER PLACE AVENUEEsher5/147No. 30 ( Esher Place)

TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE ESHER PLACE AVENUE Esher 5/147 No. 30 ( Esher Place) 7.2.75. GV II House, now conference centre. South wing 1805, the remians of a house by Lapidge, extended in 1895-8 by G.T. Robinson and Duchene for the first Viscount D'Abernon, in C18 French Style. Red brick with stone dressings, hipped slate roofs with irregularly placed stone panelled stacks. Centre block with two wings projecting forward at c 45 degrees to form polygonal courtyard to front. 2 storeys to wings, 3 storeys with 3 bay attic to centre and "bulls eye" window in stone, segmental surround above, oval dormer windows under projecting hoods to either side. Stone plinth and cornice over ground floor , deep bracket cornice over first floor centre, dentilled to first floor right. Wing to left of 8 bays, stone dressed casement windows under cambered heads with scroll keystone, rusticated end bay projecting, first floor set back under moulded eaves. Wing to right- 4 bays end bay projecting. Casement windows in stone strip surrounds, angle bay window rising through 2 floors with balustrade top to junction of wing and main block. Main block: brick bay to right containing arched window in roll moulded surround behind oval stone balcony with wrought iron hand rail on 2 moulded brackets to first floor. Circular window below. 3 bay centre to left on stone rusticated plinth, end bays projecting. Articulated with paired Ionic pilasters across the first floor. Arched casement windows with stone surrounds breaking into cornice on first floor, camber head windows with block keystones to outer ground floor bays. Centre bay recessed behind stone balustrade on first floor with central coved cartouche. Triple arched and glazed casement doors below. Garden front: 3 bay centre with quoined edges, 2 circular bays to outer ends. C20 extensions in similar style to left end, further C20 extensions to right. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p223.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.