© Ms Ruth Povey
PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND CHURCHYARD WALLS FRONTING STREET AND ON WEST, RUNNING SOUTHWARDS FOR APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS, HIGH STREET (south side)
KINGSWOOD, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Ms Ruth Povey
30 June 2001
06 June 1951
Date of last amendment:
06 June 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5118 EX-KINGSWOOD UD HIGH STREET
Parish Church of
the Holy Trinity
and Churchyard walls
fronting street and
on west, running southwards
for approximately 100 yds
ST 6573 10/169 6.6.51
1821, a good example of Commissioners Gothic, altered by addition of 2
bay chancel and vestry in 1900 and roof of circa 1850. Ashlar on moulded
plinth with Roman tile roof. Four bays, Tudor Gothick. Three-light windows
in drips. Weathered buttresses, corner buttresses diagonal. Three stage
embattled tower with corner finials and diagonal buttresses, Geometric
windows one per face on each stage, lower stage has inscribed quatrefoils.
Weathervane. Tudor arch west door, studded. Two bay chancel with slate
roof, decorated-style windows and north and south chapels.
Interior: original internal west door, Tudor Gothick panelling and studded
stair turret door. West gallery with original side rails and panelling
and with royal arms and dedication inscription on string. Chancel has
1897-1908 decorative scheme, part stencilled and part applied paintings.
Two loose panels of stained glass, late C19 east window and small stained
glass panels in north porch chapel. Church set back from High Street by
graveyard. Rubble pennant wall about 3 ft high to street. The graveyard
wall to west is original about 5-6 ft high pennant rubble with ironstone
and oceas pennant buttresses.