You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 288274  

Print Page



©  Norman Wigg

IoE Number: 288274
Location: ALBURY PARK, NEW ROAD
  ALBURY, GUILDFORD, SURREY
Photographer: Norman Wigg
Date Photographed: 15 July 2004
Date listed: 14 June 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 04 NEALBURY C.P.NEW ROADAlbury Park5/17Albury Park14.6.67

TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. NEW ROAD Albury Park 5/17 Albury Park 14.6.67 GV II* House. C16 origins on older cellars, rebuilt by John and George Evelyn in C17, altered circa 1700 and extended by Sir John Soane in 1800, further altered by Hakewill in the early C19 and remodelled by A W Pugin in 1846 - 1852, possibly with the assistance of his son. Galleted ironstone with brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. In Tudor Gothic style. Entrance front: Three storeys with attic storey in taller tower to right end. Battlemented parapets obscuring the roofs. Multiple rubbed and cut brick stacks in varying patterns to ends and centre, some of the 63 chimneys on the house - its main feature - each of different design. Nine bays with string courses over ground and first floors. Buttressed two-bay break to left and right end, brick dressed casement fenestration with 7 windows across first floor and 9 windows above. One large stone dressed casement window to left of centre. Six larger windows to ground floor, stone dressed and with arched stone lights to recessed entrance bays. Arched door to right of centre, further door to right. Left hand return front: (North side facing gardens) Two storeys and attics with 4 gabled dormers alternating with chimneys. Two storey, spindly porch to left with octagonal angle piers and brick finials. Chamfered arched brick surround under label moulding with shields over. Rear: (East elevation) Square tower to left with angle bay to ground and first floors. Single storey service wings to right hand side. Interior: Remnants of earlier remodelling survive. Library - modelled by Evelyn with C17 brick and stone fireplace, dentilled eaves with egg and dart pattern. Hall - Soane staircase survives, one arm winding around a narrow oblong well. Drawing Room - Flaxman fireplace recently reinstated. Marble with caryatids and scroll and flower work. The house is set out in grounds laid out by John Evelyn. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971), p.93. COUNTRY LIFE: AUGUST 25 and SEPTEMBER 1 1950, pp.598 and 674.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.