You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 292942  

Print Page



© Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS

IoE Number: 292942
Location: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN,
  GLYNDE, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS
Date Photographed: 10 September 1999
Date listed: 20 August 1965
Date of last amendment: 20 August 1965
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GLYNDE5206The Parish Church ofSt Mary the VirginTQ 4509 31/52620.8.65

GLYNDE 1. 5206 The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin TQ 4509 31/526 20.8.65 II* 2. Church of England. Built by John Morris of Lewes to the design of Sir Thomas Robinson in 1763-5 for Dr Richard Trevor of Glynde Place who was Bishop of Durham from 1752-1771. The north, south and east walls are of cobbles on a ashlar base. The west or entrance front is faced with knapped flints on an ashlar base with ashlar quoins and pediment set in a wooden surround with modillions. Stone cartouche of the arms of Dr Richard Trevor in the tympanum of the pediment. Above is an ashlar cupola containing a bell. Large ashlar porch with pediment containing a round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight and large double doors. The interior retains its contemporary fittings such as box-pews and screen. But the gallery was inserted in 1841 and the chancel repaired in 1894. The east window was designed by William Peckitt.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.