© Dr Philip Westwood
CHURCH OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO, ABINGER PLACE (north side)
LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Dr Philip Westwood
23 February 2003
16 March 1970
Date of last amendment:
16 March 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 4110 SW LEWES ABINGER PLACE
9/2 (north side)
16.3.70 Church of St John sub Castro
Parish church. 1859 by George Cheeseman. Flint with red brick dressings.
Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave with short chancel. Short tower with
castellated turrets. Very large lancet side-windows with unarchaeological
tracery divided by thin buttresses. West front with central tower projecting
slightly with clasping buttresses and recessed sides, the roof hidden by sloping
parapets. Central window with two lights, panelled below with rose above and
hoodmould, above pointed arched doorway with doubled boarded doors, overlight and
hoodmould. Side windows with two lights, over boarded doors. Doorway from
original church, probably C10, attached in wall to east. Unmoulded arch flanked
by three demishafts and demirolls. Slab capitals. Remains of chancel arch
also, on south side of building with restored inscription which commemorates a
certain Magnus of Danish royal stock who chose to become an Anchorite at this
place. Interior: Galleries on simple columns on three sides and short apsed
chancel. Tie-beam wagon roof. Painting: Christ and the Children, Venetian,
W.H. Godfrey, The Official Guide to Lewes, 1933, revised 1977, 39-40.
B.O.E., Sussex, 1965, 552.