You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 292975  

Print Page



© Dr Philip Westwood

IoE Number: 292975
Location: RUSSIAN MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO, ABINGER PLACE (north side)
  LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Dr Philip Westwood
Date Photographed: 23 February 2003
Date listed: 29 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 4110 SELEWESABINGER PLACE10/4(north side)Russian memorial in theChurchyard of St John sub

TQ 4110 SE LEWES ABINGER PLACE 10/4 (north side) Russian memorial in the Churchyard of St John sub Castro GV II Memorial. Circa 1877 in a neo-Gothic style by John Strong, mason of Lewes. Stone on an octagonal stone base and moulded round plinth. Octagonal drum with marble shafts carrying cusped pointed arches and the ribs to the pointed octagonal spire. Octagonal tabernacle feature above supporting cross. Inscribed with the names of the Russian soldiers who died during imprisonment in Lewes at the time of the Crimean War. Panel to east reads 'Sacred/to the Memory of/the Russian Soldiers/who died Prisoners/of War in Lewes/in the years/ 1854/ 1855 1856'. Panel to the west reads 'RAISED/by the order of/His Majesty/ the Emperor of/RUSSIA/Alexander II/1877. THE MEMORIAL/was restored by the/ Embassy of the USSR/1957/At the instance of the/Friends of Lewes/Society'.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.