You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293011  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA

IoE Number: 293011
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (north side)
  LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
Date Photographed: 01 June 2005
Date listed: 29 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 41 SWLEWESCHURCH LANE3/504(north side)Malling25.2.52Church of St Michael

TQ 41 SW LEWES CHURCH LANE 3/504 (north side) Malling 25.2.52 Church of St Michael GV II* Church. C13, C14, rebuilt 1626-28, the foundation stone being laid by John Evelyn, the future diarist and arboriculturalist. Restored 1874. Flint with stone quoins and dressings, plain tiled roofs. Low two-stage west tower with west window, probably early C14 curvilinear. Pyramidal roof with weathervane. Nave of 4 bays with single bay chancel, all windows cusped lancets of 1874. South porch, gabled, with moulded with round arch with key- and impost-blocks and hoodmould over. Datestone over, marked 1628. North vestry. Interior: Tower-arch with responds of late C13 or C14. Low octagonal vault.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.