You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293035  

Print Page



© Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS

IoE Number: 293035
Location: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET IN THE CLIFFE, CLIFFE HIGH STREET (north side)
  LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS
Date Photographed: 02 March 2003
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 4210 SWLEWESCLIFFE HIGH STREET11/56(north side)Cliffe25.2.52Church of St Thomas at

TQ 4210 SW LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET 11/56 (north side) Cliffe 25.2.52 Church of St Thomas at Cliffe (formerly listed as Church of St Thomas-a-Becket in the Cliffe) GV II* Church. C12, C14, C15, restored 1879 and 1885. Flint and stone with stone quoins and dressings. Horsham slab and plain tiled roofs. West tower with nave, north and south aisles with south porch and chancel with north vestry. Three-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses, divided by string-courses with string-course also to plain parapet of brick-banded flint with coping. Pyramidal roof of plain tiles and octagonal north-east stair-turret. C15 two-light belfry openings very much renewed. Single light on west side of second stage. First stage with large reworked C15 window over west door with C19 three-centred arch, carved foliage in spandrels and hoodmould. Separately-roofed aisles with two C19 windows each, to south symmetrically arranged about central two-storey porch, blind above, with C15 moulded door- way below with doubled boarded and ribbed doors. Lower chancel with single C19 Perpendicular-style window to south and similar though larger window to east. Interior: C19 tower arch. Three-bay arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and hollow-chamfered arches. Similar, but larger, tower-arch. Fittings: Tudor royal arms, (Queen Elizabeth, 1598). W.H. Godfrey, The Official Guide to Lewes, 1933, revised 1977, 42. B.O.E., Sussex, 1965, 553-554.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.