You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293101  

Print Page



© Ms Liz Kaye LRPS

IoE Number: 293101
Location: ALL SAINTS', FRIAR'S WALK (north side)
  LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Liz Kaye LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 August 2000
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 29 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 4110 SELEWESFRIAR'S WALK10/119(north side)25.2.52All Saint's Community Centre(formerly listed as All Saints'

TQ 4110 SE LEWES FRIAR'S WALK 10/119 (north side) 25.2.52 All Saint's Community Centre (formerly listed as All Saints' GV II* Parish church, now community centre. Early C16 tower with nave of 1806 by Amon Wilds and chancel and transepts of 1883 by W. Basset Smith and E.J. Munt in an C13 lancet style with transepts of Decorated style. Tower and east end of flint with stone dressings, nave of red brick with stone quoins and brick window dressings. Plain tiled roofs with gable crosses on gables to east. West tower, nave without aisles and crossing with transepts, chancel and vestries. Very low three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and projecting coped parapet. Simple double belfry openings with arched heads to lights and square-headed surrounds. Single square-headed openings on second stage. Wide moulded three-centred arch below on west face with double ribbed and studded doors. Six-bay nave with boxed eaves. Arched windows with radiating glazing bars on first floor, segment-headed windows below. East end with clasping buttresses. Curvilinear tracery in north and south windows of transepts. 3 bay chancel with lancets divided by stepped buttresses. East window of triple lancet type. Interior: nave with original galleries on north, south and west sides on thin columns. Shallow stucco vault over. Most of the former fittings have been removed. Stained glass; 1880 and 1884 by Henry Holiday. Monument: John Stansfield, d. 1626, coat-of-arms surmounting inscription flanked by kneelers of John and his wife. At the time of resurvey the church is being converted into a community centre. The chancel has been blocked off from the rest of the church.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.