You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293164  

Print Page



©  David Brogan

IoE Number: 293164
Location: WESTGATE CHAPEL, HIGH STREET (south side)
  LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: David Brogan
Date Photographed: 24 July 2004
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET 14/182 (south side) 25.2.52 Westgate Chapel "Wooden door to right is round headed stone arch surround" shall be added to the description, after the last sentence in the ninth row, before "Interior". ------------------------------------ TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET 14/182 (south side) 25.2.52 Westgate Chapel GV II* Chapel. 1583, converted 1698, altered and restored in C19. Timber- framed. Knapped flint cladding on high plinth with chamfered stone plinth band. Tilehung above to righthand side of east end. Part tilehung and part plastered entrance front to north. North front: Doorway in red brick porch with paired half-glazed doors and flat hood on console brackets over. Plaque over porch recording origin of chapel. East front: Two 6-light chamfered transom and mullion windows on east end that to right surrounded by tilehanging and wood, that to left stone with three-light chamfered mullion window above. Plain tiled roofs. Interior: Main chapel: High dado panelling with four recessed arches on tall round (probably wooden) columns to north. That at right open below impost level, centre pair with tall three-light cavetto-mullioned diamond-lattice windows lighting room beyond. Tall six-light cavetto-mullioned diamond-latticed windows at east and west ends and two on south side. Late C19 organ in recess next to sanctuary. C19 carved panelled pulpit on right of sanctuary. Arched recess above dado panelling on south side wall, original position of pulpit prior to 1913. Moulded stone octagonal font on octagonal stem. Church hall: Dado panelling, C19. Two heavy beams on wooden brackets, supported at the south by the columns. The hall and vestibule were divided from the chapel in 1915. Small panelled and be-bookshelved minister's room adjoining on south side.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.