© Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS
JIREH CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL TO NORTH, MALLING STREET (east side)
LEWES, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Robert J Harvey ARPS
24 February 2003
25 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
25 February 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 4210 SW LEWES MALLING STREET
11/317 (east side)
Jireh Chapel & Sunday School to
Calvinistic Independent Chapel. 1805, greatly enlarged 1826. Timber-framed
on brick base and clad in mathematical tiles to north and east, slate to south
and plain tiles to west. Boxed eaves to slate roof with central pyramidally-
hooded louvre and brick gable stack with projecting chimney-breast at west end.
East front: 2½ storeys. Regular 3 bay front with wider wall spaces outside
outer windows, glazing bar sashes. Pediment-gable containing wreathed oculus
window, surmounted by reset tablet inscribed 'JIREH CHAPEL erected by J JENKINS
WA with the Voluntary contributions of the CITIZENS of ZION ANNO WHIT MDCCCV'
and louvre grille. Central porch with two Tuscan columns formerly carrying
pedimented roof, now with straight entablature roof. North and south fronts:
2 storeys; 4 bay fronts, glazing bar sash windows. storey brick Sunday
School, of 1874, with gable parapets and kneelers and arched window in east end,
attached to north side of chapel by pedimented porch with two columns.
Interior: Colonnades of five timber columns to north and south supporting
galleries which continue round all four sides of chapel with plain panelled fronts.
Timber columns continue above galleries as slender columns with enriched capitals
to support roof structure. Walls have boarded dados and rails with hat pegs.
Galleries have staircases in all four corners of chapel. Pulpit at west end with
clerk's desk and railed communion area below approached direct from west gallery.
At west end on ground floor vestry opening with shutters into chapel; two
smaller vestries above, that to north with basket grate of early C19. Plastered
vault to central area of chapel ceiling with flat ceilings over side galleries.
Fittings: Clock on south front with circular brass dial, signed Harebly,
Lewes, early C19. Pulpit: octagonal with reeded panelled sides and base.
Octagonal stair, bridge access from west gallery and plain panelled clerk's desk
in front. Simple balustraded communion area in front. Seating: Pine box
pews throughout; pews below side galleries are numbered and at original height
of 3ft 9ins, the centre pews lower.