You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293633  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Nash LRPS

IoE Number: 293633
Location: CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH, VICTORIA DRIVE (east side)
  EASTBOURNE, EASTBOURNE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Michael Nash LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 August 1999
Date listed: 08 February 1994
Date of last amendment: 17 August 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE TQ5800 (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elizabeth U shall be amended thus: TQ5800 EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elisabeth II Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A R G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof. Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at tint floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail. Around the sanctuary is a sequence of fixed painted panels depicting scenes such as the Annunciation and the Batpism of Christ, in a pure Italian quatrocento style. They are signed E. W. Tristram, 1938. (Tristram was the leading authority on English Medieval wall paintings and their conservation.) In a basement room there survives an important painted mural sequence, depicting the Pilgrim's Progress in a free expression style by Hans Feibusch, 1944. These murals are of special historic interest. . . . [See "Architects' Journal" April 4, 1940.] ------------------------------------ EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE TQ5800 (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elizabeth II Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A R G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at first floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail and murals of traditional type by Hans Feibusch. [See "Architects'Journal" April 4, 1940.]

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.