You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 293636  

Print Page

© Mr Michael Nash LRPS

IoE Number: 293636
Photographer: Mr Michael Nash LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 October 1999
Date listed: 22 October 1992
Date of last amendment: 22 October 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EASTBOURNEWILLINGDON ROADTQ 59 0011/10004Church of St Michaeland All Angels

EASTBOURNE WILLINGDON ROAD TQ 59 00 11/10004 Church of St Michael and All Angels II Church. Designed by G.E.S Streatfield in Decorated Gothic revival style. Chancel vestry and Lady Chapel erected in 1901 (with a temporary iron nave). Nave aisles and tower erected in 1911. Built of unknapped flint with stone dressings and Westmoreland slate roof. West tower, south porch, nave, aisles chancel, north east lady chapel and south east vestry. Tower of 3 stages with buttresses surmounted by weathervane. Bellstage has 2 half-blocked arches with double cinquefoil-headed lights to each face. Gabled south porch with 4- centred arched entrance with decorated spandrels. Nave has 10 clerestory windows and 4 windows to aisle. Gabled vestry with paired arched windows to south, and to east triple then 7 light cinquefoil windows, Chancel has large rose window with band of chequered flint and stone above with buttresses. Lady Chapel has 2 arched windows. Interior has 5 bay nave with pointed arches on octagonal piers. Roof of arched traced type with ogee tension braces. Chancel of 3 bays with clerestory. East window has stained glass of Christ in Majesty flanked by 4 archangels. To south is window depicting St Agatha and St Clare by school of William Morris. Lady Chapel has king post roof and stained glass window depicting Dorcas, also school of William Morris. Pulpit, choir stalls, lectern and organ chamber are original.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.