You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 297310  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 297310
Location: SHOREHAM GRAMMAR SCHOOL, ST JULIANS LANE (south side)
  SHOREHAM BY SEA, ADUR, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 August 1999
Date listed: 29 September 1972
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: SHOREHAM-BY-SEA ST JULIANS LANE 3/62 KINGSTON-BY-SEA (south side) Shoreham College The item shall be changed to read: ST JULIANS LANE KINGSTON-BY-SEA (south side) Shoreham College (formerly listed as Shoreham Grammar School) The former listing date shall be added to read: 29/9/72 ------------------------------------ SHOREHAM-BY-SEA ST JULIANS LANE, TQ 20 NW 3/62 KINGSTON-BY-SEA (south side) Shoreham College II House, now school. Early-mid C18 with C19 and C20 additions and internal alterations of circa 1880. Coursed flint, knapped to south, with red brick and some stone quoins and dressings, all limewashed at some time but this rapidly disappearing. Bracketted eaves cornice to plain tiled hipped roof. The original south wing has end stacks. Two gabled dormers to south, one to east. Two storeys and attics. South front: Main facade of the original early-mid C18 block now extended in depth behind to form east front. Five bays, the third and fourth bays from the left on the ground-floor replaced by late C19 square bay. All other windows glazing bar sashes in wide raised surrounds with segment-heads and keystones. East front: Blank at left end, the side wall of the original south block. Projecting wing at right end with hipped gable in style and C20 further projection to right with parapet. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows on each floor, mixture of casements and sashes. Later C19 entrance in chequer of knapped flint and ashlar dressings with parapet to left of centre. Moulded Tudor arched surround with doubled planked doors. Interior: Panelling, fireplaces, doors of doorcases and neo-Jacobean staircase of circa 1880 survive.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.