You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 297346  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Coomber

IoE Number: 297346
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (south side)
  SHOREHAM BY SEA, ADUR, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Brian Coomber
Date Photographed: 02 March 2006
Date listed: 19 July 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 July 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTHWICKCHURCH LANETQ 20 NW3/65(south side)19.7.50Church of St MichaelII*

SOUTHWICK CHURCH LANE TQ 20 NW 3/65 (south side) 19.7.50 Church of St Michael II* Church. C12 and C13, 1835 by John Garret. Rebuilt in 1949 by John Denman. Coursed and uncoursed cobblestone with plain tiled and pantiled roofs. Tower with side vestries, nave with south porch, and aisles, chancel. Three stage tower and shingled broach spire. First stage reputed to be Saxon, with flanking round-ended vestries of 1949. Renewed round-headed west door with recessed arches on piers. Second stage with wide paired round-headed arches on columns. Third stage with narrow, very tall lancets and round-openings above. Four bay nave of 1835, with simple tripartite lancets. Chancel with much renewed C13 lancets Interior: screen, C14, wood narrow bays. Monument: cartouche, Elizabeth Gray, d. 1745. Tower taken down as a result of bomb damage in 1941.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.