You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 299507  

Print Page



© Mr Tim Nichols

IoE Number: 299507
Location: KNEPP CASTLE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST, CASTLE LANE (off)
  SHIPLEY, HORSHAM, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Tim Nichols
Date Photographed: 12 January 2003
Date listed: 22 September 1959
Date of last amendment: 22 September 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHIPLEYCASTLE LANE (off)5404Knepp Castle andstables adjoining tonorth-westTQ 12 SE 16/49522.9.59.

SHIPLEY CASTLE LANE (off) 1. 5404 Knepp Castle and stables adjoining to north-west TQ 12 SE 16/495 22.9.59. II* 2. Castellated Gothic mansion built by Sir Charles Merrick Burrell between 1800 and 1813. Architect John Nash, Clerk of the Works Alexander Kyffin. L-shaped plan. Two storeys and attic. Eleven windows. Faced with Roman cement. Tiled roof. Square-headed sash windows with obtusely pointed panes, glazing bars and dripstones over. Large round tower containing the staircase in centre of north-east front. South-west front has a series of machicolated turrets. Stone porch in centre. Later addition after 1830 at north-west end. Beyond this is the stable court-yard of which the inner facade is faced with red brick and grey headers and has a castellated parapet. The south side consists of 2 blocks of 2 windows and 4 windows respectively with gate-post between them surmounted by eagles.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.